Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VSS install is completed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BurbinOR, Feb 23, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

OK, the VSS module is now installed, wired, tested and fully functional/operational. Originally the park/neutral indicator wires were spliced together, which in effect made the ECM think the vehicle was always in P/N. Wired in a microswitch on the steering column to actuate the switch when leaving park, tested everything with the scanner to make sure all was recognized (gotta love Auto Xray's) and drove it. No codes, VSS is working and all is well. At the beginning, when I was uneducated about TPI and all the workings about it, I believed the VSS was 'turned off' in the chip - that was not the case.

First impressions - inconclusive. I only had 10 minutes to test it before I had to run out to my nephew's basketball game, but so far so good.

So, believe it or not, as long as I see no NEGATIVE side effects from this module, it will stay. I posted on thirdgen.org the other day, asking for feedback on what the VSS interrelates with, and got mostly responses that said the poster had their VSS unhooked too............but did get great info from the moderator Vader who gave a list of the functions that are influenced by the VSS. One guy PM's me saying I may see lower performance............no factual reasons stated, however.

As I originally said, I kept an open mind on this topic. My truck ran excellent already. However - recall those who remember the spirited discussions about VSS being needed or not - I spent the $70, installed and wired it myself, and as I said, as long as there is no bad effects from this install (cannot see any reason for any to manifest themself) I will keep the module.

Further feedback on drivability, performance observations and fuel mileage changes will be posted as I gain experience with this.

Anyway, pics of the location of the VSS on the cruise control module on my site below - on the What's New Page.

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I think my brother is gonna buy a commercial/aftermarket one for his '70 TBI swap too, originally we were gonna try to adapt an '80s one to his speedo, but time is running short for Moab. Where did you buy yours, and was it wired with the factory plug, or just a pigtail? It looks like Howell and JTR both sell them for TBIs. Is yours the same, or do you have the newer style (his is 2 pulse).

As for the P/N switch, you can splice the yellow and purple wires together where they go through the P/N switch, and use that switch for the computer. The yellow and purple wires are for the starter, but are redundant since the key linkage won't allow you to turn the key to start when in gear. This is how the factory EFI trucks are setup.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Did you have to re-burn the chip when you put this in? Also, what's a good scanner program that I can use on a cheap used laptop?

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks for the info. I may yet have to go that route so keep us updated. I "thought" I bought a complete gauge cluster with VSS and buffer off the for sale board here several weeks ago (sent the check on Feb 5) but I'm beginning to wonder if I got taken. If I did, I'll probably just order one of these, I really didn't want to run a factory gauge cluster anyway...

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Originally I thought I was going to have to reburn a chip...........but that was when I was, shall I say, ignorant about a few things. Mostly due to not having played with FI computer controlled vehicles before, some from my engine builder not being very clear about things. I took it upon myself to get edumacated as they say and it has paid off. Bought and devoured 4 books on FI/TPI/FI theory and read literally hundreds of posts on thirdgen.org.

Anyway, the only thing I had to do was the aforementioned disconnection of the P/N indicator switch and hook up the VSS.........how simple was that...........

Scanner programs..........hmm...............try this link and do a word search for 'Craig Moates' - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.thirdgen.org>www.thirdgen.org</a> on the DIY Prom board...........<font color=red>great</font color=red> resources on that board. Craig Moates has software that you download for free if I remember correctly, and you rig up a cable that mates the ALDL to your laptop and away you go.

ONE TON</font color=blue> <font color=green>TPI'd</font color=green><font color=red> BEAST<font color=red>

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I use WinALDL. Cable is a cinch to make, and the program gives you everything you could want except the portability of the little hand held scanners. You get real time info on everything (rather than pick 1-4 data items for most of the hand helds) and you can create a log file to track relevant info over some period of time for later evaluation.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.winaldl.webhop.net/>http://www.winaldl.webhop.net/</a>

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked, 4" lift, 42" tires
    Some day: massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

9. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Blazzin, good to hear yours is working out for you. I know that I had my automatic harness hooked up to the stock PN in the column and it made a big difference whether I'd have it in P or D (empirical testing :) )

Matthew