Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vss questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nstarry, Apr 28, 2007.

1. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I am having problems figureing this out !! so any help will be very nice ..
    I have a 93 two door sport with the 350 TBI, 4l60e, np 241, and the tranny is done! so it is time to upgrade , I am going to do the straight axel next winter ( already bought the gm 60, and a set of 52''ers ) but now the big problems come in. my recent purchase of a t-400 & 205 t-case makes the vss a problem ( computer may get a little mad without proper mods ) can I swap speedos and splice old wires to the new speedo ( vss ) to get this to work ?? is there somthing else going on here ?? please help!! pleeeeaaaasssseeee!!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

3. nstarry

nstarry 1/2 ton status

I called them and they said that they could not help me :crazy: my set up is a 28000 and all they have is 4000 and 2000 :crazy::mad::crazy: anyone else have any other ideas ??? I know sombody has done this before :confused:

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Go to a dealership, order the relucter ring off a 91 4wd crew cab (only year for it) and take the VSS sensor off your case. Drill and tap the tail housing, I believe the vent is on top, already have a hole there anyways to drill out.

6. jwglover

jwglover Registered Member

That would be the best,, go to the dealer and buy the ring,
    No one could help me when I did mine,every said to go buy this $300 piece or this $400 piece , no gaurantee that it would work though, so I took the reluctor ring off the 241 and used it, it is the same splines but has to be machine 'skinner ' or thinner to fit in place of the old speed gear,or use a grinder like I did, and then went to Oriellys and bought a nut that would fit on the censor ( 70 cents ) . ground the housing flat and drilled a hole, put the censor through , tapping the housing may work, but the housing is very thin. I have done two others and they all work great.
    So I spent 70 cents and about 1 1/2 ,, along way from $300
    Good luck !

7. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Consider keeping the NP241. Better low range. That will get you going. If it fails, then consider replacing it. I run a 241 behind a t-400 and a big block and have been happy so far.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd agree. 241 seems to hold up very well, and the hassle of trying to retrofit the VSS to a 205 (reluctor ring isn't available from GM anymore) just doesn't seem worth it.