Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VSSB for '91 suburban?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Diesel Dan, Jun 4, 2002.

1. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

VSSB for \'91 suburban?

Does anyone know if the '91 V series use a VSSB like the "K" series use? And it does, where is it?!
    Speedo is off on my '91 and with this conversion package there are all kinds of wires packed under the dash.

2. Re: VSSB for \'91 suburban?

Whats VSSB stand for? Later -80K20

3. Ryan

Ryan Registered Member

Re: VSSB for \'91 suburban?

VSSB is Vehicle Speed Sensor Buffer. Yes, the 91 "V" series has one. If I had known my 90 had one, I would have bought an earlier model. It is in / under the dash, under the radio. It's a white box with two wiring harnesses coming out of it. There are two black oxide bolts on the outside of the lower dash that hold it in. It takes signals from the transfer case, and converts them to pulses that are sent to 1) the speedometer 2) the computer and 3) the cruise control. It's my understanding that none of these are the same. I.E. speedo is 4000 pulses per mile, while cruise control is 2000 pulses per mile, etc. I did some experimenting, I found a VSSB out of a 1990 S-10 2WD, removed the original jumpers, and installed micro-switches in their place. Now I can adjust the speedo according to tire size and gear ratio by flipping switches. Currently all the switches are on in the original jumper locations, as my tires don't affect my speedo but by 2 mph. I'm trying to find the service manual for an early '90's truck / blazer because it shows the jumper settings for their different gear ratio / tire sizes from the factory.

4. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Re: VSSB for \'91 suburban?

Ryan,

Thanks for the location.

I had an electician try to install the micro switchs on a service VSSB, no luck. In our case the board couldn't take the heat of trying to draw the solder thru to the terminals, he(electrician) said it was because the board wasn't designed with the tubes to aid in solder flow thru the board.

Go to www.thedieselpage.com purchase the 1999 feature articles and product reviews. The have all the divide ratios listed and how to calculate and program the VSSBs.