Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

VW question please help

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by DesertDueler, Sep 22, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have a sandrail with a 1641 dp motor and a swing axle out of a 1965 bug. My rail is light and fast, but I want to make it stronger. My buddy has a vw bus with a built 1641 and IRS. My question is, is there any differences between bug and bus motors. How do I tell if his motor is a single or dual port, and how hard would it be to convert my rail to the bus trans and suspension? Any help is greatly apriciated, as I can get the bus for 300 bucks.

Dan

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

You can tell if its single or dual port by looking at the intake manifold to head connection. Single port will be a single tube. Dual port will be duals.
    The dual port heads are much better. Other than that, I dont remember if theres any difference in the motors.
    I had a built 1641 back in H.S. running dual ports and a Holley Bug Spray carb. Eventually was going to do to webers but no $$$. Some of the Old buses had gear reduction rear-ends. These gave you more lift in the rear and good gearing. I assume when you say IFS, you mean it has the CV joint rear end versus swing axle. You can build the CV setup to be much better.

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. Yea my rail has dual webber 44s on it. It is pretty built for a 1641. He has no idea what size motor is in his. He is assuming a 1641 because that is what the previous owner said. As for IRS, yes I meant cv joint, as I have a swing axle in mine already.

Dan