Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

vw's

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by K5Dan, Jul 7, 2003.

1. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

vw\'s

anybody know anything about bugs?wife wants one ! are they reliable?i found a 68 with a rebuilt motor needs a little body work and paint and interior lol!for 1200.00 obo.any specific things to look for /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif thanks

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: vw\'s

I was just thinking that 1200 is a lot of money for a old car just look on ebay at the Chevy caviler for $2000 you can get a 1999 car with 70000 miles ( my dad got 140000 on all of his ) all I am saying is just look at your options and good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Well....its a hit or miss.
    I have owened several VW's in my time. My last one was a 68 which I eventually took a Sawsall to and made it a Baja after having too much beer one nite /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Theyre slow and small but will go anywhere. The biggest things are the leaky engines and transaxles. If its in good condition, mayybe worth 800-1000. You can pretty much fix them with Duct Tape and Bailing wire

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

1200 is high for a bug needing that much work. Having a rebuilt engine is really no big deal. It doesn't cost much at all to rebuild a bug engine if you do it your self.
    If you know how to work on them they can be a very dependable little car. There is not a whole lot that can go wrong with them. They are very simple really. You can pull the engine in under an hour with a few tools and a floor jack.
    I really would not want one for a DD they are hot in the summer and cold in the winter. All of them I had, I always had to have a ice scraper handy to use on the inside /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif till it warmed up. Which could take a long time when it was very cold out. The defrosters/heater never seemed to work well.
    They get pretty good gas milage but new cars do a lot better.
    I think I would rather have a Jetta.

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I know where I can get you one for a lot less than $1200 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[​IMG]
    Autoskraps in Kennewick, WA /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    anybody know anything about bugs?wife wants one ! are they reliable?i found a 68 with a rebuilt motor needs a little body work and paint and interior lol!for 1200.00 obo.any specific things to look for /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif thanks

[/ QUOTE ]
    The nice thing about bugs is that they are cheap to fix...everything. I bought my wife a '63 for Valentines day last year, we have it totally fixed up now, and are looking to sell it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (need to pay some CC debt). They are reliable, very forgiving, and parts are cheap /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. New interior kits are readily available, as are most body parts, which are interchangeable with other years. If you are wondering about prices of parts, pick up a copy of "VW Trends" magazine. there are plenty of vendors/dealers in there. or send me a PM I might be able to give you some ideas.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Jason

7. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

well i got one for her!74 vw beetle.it's in much better condition than many others i've seen for basically the same price /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifand no smog /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

my stepdad has turned a few superbeetles into fiberglass body cars, well one is pickup style, and he just got a 74 vw van, all are very reliable, the car and pickup ones are compeltely redone and painted and everything mechanical done, sold one for 3500, very daily driver nice

i know where two nice clean bettles are for sale right now here.
    a convertible one that was sitting got scrapped recently, was purple and all

other than that they arent seen much, except after convetted to dune buggies or tube kits, theres a few in this town even, a guy named Tree is the guy to talk to, he has several tube kit daily drivers.