Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

w00t! New tow rig!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Finally getting back online for the first time in almost two weeks....Loooong story- Had serious computer problems. Anyways, cool stuff follows...

Yesterday I traded my litttle '91 Mitsubishi Mighty Max in on a new to me '94 F-250 4x4. Regular cab with the ZF (I think) 5spd manual w/OD. Dana 50 front, Stering 10.25 or 10.5 rear, (Haven't figured out the ratio yet, Ford doesn't put tags on the diff covers...)I can never remember which. It's just got the 5.8/351 SB, was hoping for the 460 of course, but this will be atleast a bit easier on the gas bill. It's bright red too. Can't go wrong with a '94 at 74K miles for $8500. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It was a one owner truck. The old guy traded it in on a new $40K Dodge Cummins. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Also got my 60 upgraded to full 35 spline with Warn drive flanges & Spicer 5-806X u-joints. I also took the time to modify the stubs for full circle clips. That was alot easier than I figured. Just alittle carefull work with a 4.5 grinder and new wheel. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Soon as I get my computer set back up, I'll grab some pics of the new truck and the 35 spline stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Ford does put tags on the axles,lazy fawks just dont put em back on when they service them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cool truck,its got half as many miles as mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI hope ya get better mileage than me with your 5.8.Ya gonna lift it?

p.s. answer my pm on the norcal board when ya get a chance /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. Zeus33rd

[ QUOTE ]
    Ford does put tags on the axles,lazy fawks just dont put em back on when they service them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cool truck,its got half as many miles as mine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI hope ya get better mileage than me with your 5.8.Ya gonna lift it?

p.s. answer my pm on the norcal board when ya get a chance /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...Is the tag on the front? Or the rear? Only looked at the front. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Thanks for the compliments- It's kinda wierd owning another Ford. I didn't have ANY good luck with my last ford truck. It was a '97 F-150. Frickin nightmare. I hope my luck is better with this one. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif As for lifting, I don't think so. If I lifted it, I'd wheel it. lol I want to put some nicer wheels and tires on it though- The stock stuff looks weeny. Maybe some BFG AT's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

And PM sent on NCBD. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. FRIZZLEFRY

Mine has tags front and rear but its been re geared.Stock it had 3.73s I think but the previous owner had 4.10 put in to pull better.I just picked up a set of 9.75x16.5 aluminum wheels off of willyswanter to replace my stock steel wheels.I have 285-75-16s on it right now.I might go to a 31x10.5 BFG AT,I dunno yet.Im not lifting it for the same reasons /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I thought the dana 50 first came out in the new superduty body style so they could save money? you might want to check on that because if I remember right you should have a 60 in the front.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Just another option. I've got 33" Bridgestone Duelers on my tow rig (2500HD 4x4 Crew) and I love them. Nice and quiet on the road, good manners, good wear, work very well on ice (900 miles) and never had a problem off-road the few times it's been there...

8. FRIZZLEFRY

Nope,its an independent Dana 50.They have been around for a while in 3/4 ton Fords /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9. FRIZZLEFRY

I have Bridgestone duelers on my F250 now.They are good on the road and ok in dirt,sand,and light snow.I towed Crwln73 to the Hammers and while lookin for a place to camp we ended up in a sandy wash and I had to make a u turn.Started to bury the back end so I put it in 4x and it climbed right out draggin the trailer and all.I thought we were fawked /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI didnt realy like the Bridgestones til then /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nope,its an independent Dana 50.They have been around for a while in 3/4 ton Fords /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad so its the ttb like they put in the 150s but its heavier duty.

11. BadDog

I don't know about light snow, but last Christmas I had to drive from AZ to AL across 40 in the middle of the big ice storm. Roughly 900 miles on a sheet of ice in 4WD almost the whole time. Sometimes we were the only thing on the interstate, but we never had a problem to speak of...

12. Zeus33rd

I'm gonna go crawl around under the truck a bit today. I'm pretty crious to find out what gears it's got. As for tires- My gramps has 265/75/16 Wild Country TXR's From Les Schawb on his '97 F-250. lol, He buys a new set every year and has them siped, even if the current ones aren't worn out. With the siping they work great in the snow. Thats most likely what I'll go with, that or the BFG AT's in that size. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

13. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    so its the ttb like they put in the 150s but its heavier duty.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep,just like it except 250s have leaves instead of coils up front /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. FRIZZLEFRY

[ QUOTE ]
    Roughly 900 miles on a sheet of ice in 4WD almost the whole time

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about not being able to relax while yer drivin,that musta been the longest 900 miles ever /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. BadDog

Understatement of the year award right there... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I've never been so totally exhausted mentally and physically, but I managed to get us to AL just in time to set down to Christmas Eve dinner with my folks.

[Edit] Sorry for the OT, but couldn't resist adding one more thing.

Right after buying my truck (as in same day) I had the 33s put on there to replace the little roller skate street tires. My wife nearly flipped, "You just bought that expensive new 4x4 truck that you will never take off road and the first thing you do is start changing things! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif " That icy trip to AL was to be at her son's wedding which was on Dec 27 /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif They made a last minute date change for the wedding and there were no flights available. Without my "expensive 4x4 truck" and putting on "tires it didn't need" she would not have made it to that wedding.

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it's funny how alot of people dog out fords,but it seems everyone has one for a tow vehicle. is it because chevy has that garbage ass independent front end? if i want cadillac ride i buy a caddie.i'm a chavy man but the 2 fords i've owned never gave me trouble either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Personally its the low ride height and that the deisel is sh!t. IMO. Ford > Chevy for tow rigs.

18. BadDog

Aint nothin’ wrong with that GM diesel in the new trucks (the 6.5TD can be decent, but I agree on the 6.2 and 6.5NA), and the GM has the only auto that will hold up to the tow rating. Also, that independent front is just exactly what you DO want for a tow rig. Eliminates the bad manners of a solid axle front, the same bad manners that amplify problems towing...

19. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my friend danny has a 89 extended cab with a 3inch body lift and 305's. (it's a chevy), that POS's frame is only about 8 inches off the ground.i told him he's the only guy i know that need's skid plates to get up his driveway /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifhe keep's talking about bull gap in michigan, i told him anything he want's(with both my trucks).but he wouldn't drive up a 2 ft rock in my front yard? meow meow. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

20. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree the new chevy's are the shizznit. I shoulda have clarified anything up to the duramax.