Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

w00t x 3... finally got me a new rig... pics later...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, Sep 27, 2006.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Well guys and gals, I finally replaced my 70K5 and my 86K5... hard to replace 2 trucks with one, I know, but my new ride is bad ass... For starters, it's a 1994 GMC Yukon 6.5L Turbo Diesel (w00t #1.) The body is very clean for a Wisconsin truck, and the interior is pristine... even smells good (w00t #2.) The guy I bought the 70K5 from was selling this, so I traded him the K5 back for this truck (w00t #3.) All in all, except for being sick and miserable all friggen day, it was an outstanding end to my evening.

Now, on to the tech stuff, cuz ya know, that's what the garage is all aboot, eh?

1. Where the hell can I get BioDiesel in the Lake Mills/Waterloo/Deerfield/Marshall/Watertown, WI area? I know of ONE station about 20 miles away from me that sells E85 and BioDiesel, but how do I justify a whole gallon of fuel each way just to fill up?? This question would also apply to the Milwaukee and Madison areas too, since I visit there often enough to have to fill up while in the area once in a while. Hell, might as well make it all the way out to the Twin Cities and up to da U.P. Better yet, how about one of them BioDiesel pump maps, where it lists the name of the station and their last reported price?

2. It's got a block heater and an aftermarket cooler on the intake, but nothing else - performance wise - has been done to it as far as I know. It has decent pick-up, starts fast (within 3-5 seconds of cranking) and runs like a dream at any speed. What should I look into doing first for mileage and hp/torque gains? I searched up some performance chips before I bought the truck, and I don't mind spending $350 for a chip, just want to be sure its what I SHOULD be doing... I suppose a Banks kit would be the ultimate upgrade, but yeah I'm not ready to drop another grand or two just yet...

3. This is my first diesel vehicle... so I kinda need some helpful advice along the way... first and foremost, should I be using AmsOil products like all the other Diesel guys I know around here? I look at the diesel pumps in the area and see No.2 Diesel... is there a No.1 Diesel or other better grade that I should be looking for?

I'm gonna go peruse the Diesel Forum now, and I promise I won't cross post... damn, it feels good to be back here with all my guys... =)

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i didnt think 94's were computer controlled... so that would me no chip...

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

very nice! that was the original vehicle i wanted with the 6.5 and then sas it, but since those are extremely rare around my neck of the woods, i had to "settle" for my k5.:D

any big plans for it suspension wise? or is it going to basically remain stock? post pics when you get a chance. sounds sweet

4. PhoenixZorn

It will remain stock for now, that is until I have access to a D60 front and 14B FF rear end with the same gear ratios. The tires are 265/75R16s, and I think that's like a 32" right? I might swap my K5 wagon wheels on to it with 32" BFG A/Ts, but I have to figure out how that will look... (I'm leaning towards "It looks like ****...") but we'll find out later.

79k20350, I searched for 1994 6.5L Turbo Diesel Mods and got hits on multiple chips.. if it ISN'T computer controlled, it's just as well... it will keep me from spending money on it for a while... again, at least until I have access to a full tuning kit (injectors, egt sensor, etc...)

Anyway, it's awesome to be able to drive down the road and not watch my fuel gauge plummet from full to 3/4 full on a 30 mile trip... heh. I love this truck...

5. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

take some pics!!!!

6. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

Why do you want biodiesel?

7. PhoenixZorn

it's cheaper... by a lot... like $1.00 less per gallon than No. 2 Pump Diesel... and I lose what, 3/4 of a mile per gallon and maybe 3-5hp by using it? big deal... I'm saving money... if I want to go to a tractor pull or something, I'll make sure she's sippin on Farm Diesel and water injection, but for my uses, Biodiesel is teh win...

8. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

#1 diesel is winter diesel. winter formulation ditches alot of the waxes in the fuel. so theres very little to gel. but you also lose BTUs by removeing the waxes=less power per liter

at the city pumps here it is just phased in in the fall and phased out in the spring. At some/most rural cardlock places I've seen around southern alberta you can choose, they got dyed farm diesel, #1, and #2 on separate pumps.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Easy way to tell if you have a computer or not is to look for the throttle cable at the pump. If you don't have a cable you for sure have a computer. I'm not sure that the converse is true though. It's outside of my knowledge as to whether a any cable throttled 6.5's had computers.
    THE pump to get for a cable throttled 6.5, according to a GM Proving Grounds source, is the Marine pump. Way more agressive fuel curve in it. Gotta watch EGT's with one of those.

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Diesels 101...

First off, learn that Banks is junk. This is the first step of making your way to being a diesel junky.:haha: The banks advertising department needs a raise for everyone, because they did one heck of a job. Anyone that doesn't really know anything about diesels, but do know something, are brainwashed that Banks is the ultimate diesel performance supplier. Like I said, their ad department needs a raise.

2. You don't want #1 diesel, it's closer to karosene from what I have heard. You want oily thicker diesel, it provides lubrication and more BTU's.

Outside of the Cummins/PSD/Dmax world I really don't know whats available to hop up a mechanical 6.5. Although, I do think BD sells a set of 40HP sticks for the 6.5. Injectors are expensive and can be difficult to change, so it's a lot of money/work for only 40HP.

Amsoil is a great company and great product. I am an Amsoil distributer and use their products religiously in my Ram Cummins. But, I would be weary about switching over to synthetic on an older motor like that, that likely has a fair amount of mileage. I would be worried that it would be a little hard on the seals and could cause some eventuall leakage. There is nothing wrong with conventional oil, you just have to change it more often, offers less heat tolerance, and costs more to use.

11. PhoenixZorn

By the way... this motor is computer controlled... not mechanical... sorry I forgot to mention it in the last post...