Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wa state highway patrol

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by misfit, Oct 22, 2000.

1. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

pulled me over last saturday night: no mud flaps. officer said he never tickets for that offense but told me this requiremeent:
    the body must cover half the tire(centerline of axle and up)
    i mentioned the fact that almost all new trucks today dont meet said requirement, and he said that theyre designed form the factory with that law in mind. b.s.! i asked if the new trucks are in compliance and he said no!
    obviously an older, lifted 4x4 attracts more negative attention than a non-lifted(yet still illegal) truck.
    will i install mudflaps? not until i get ticketed, at which point i will mention what ive just said. anyone else had bad experiences like this?(btw, officer was very polite, just filling his pull-over quota)

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I got pulled over for the same thing here. The Cop actually complimented my truck and we BS'ed for a few minutes about K5's [​IMG] Then he tells me I need mud flaps. He said his rule of thumb was if a Ferrari was following me on a gravel road would he get all pasted with rocks? If so I would need mud flaps![​IMG][​IMG] I then politely asked what a Ferrari would be doing on a gravel road? And if he was on a gravel road with a Ferrari and he was following close enough to get the rocks from my tires then he wasn't very smart to begin with and didn't deserve the Ferrari [​IMG]

Bottom line? I had to put on mud flaps, and go for a visual confirmation of said mud flaps within 14 days or pay a fine.

SOOOOOOOOOO ........ I installed some ugly-ass mud flaps, showed them to the officer, got my fine cancelled, went home and removed the mud flaps!

I'm waiting to get pulled over again, but that was 2 years ago.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Yup, I got the same BS. The cop started out by telling me that I had to lower my truck. What the f$$$ is that about? He said I needed mud flaps covering at least 3/4 of the tires height, and at least as wide as the tire. The only thing I could find to cover my 40/17/16.5's were deisel truck flaps. He asked me if I'd ever been pulled over for them before. I told him that I'd had cops behind me several times, but he was the first to bother me for it.

4. archer

archer 1/2 ton status

They build trucks at the factory without regard to state laws, You used to be able to buy pickups without back bumpers but as soon as you drove off the lot you could be cited. I've never stopped anybody for excessive lift or no mud flaps, but they just gave us a quota of 1 ticket a day so I'll have to keep an eye on the Mayor, City manager, City council members and make sure they are all in compliance. What's fair is fair. I HATE QUOTAS!!!

"who dares wins"

5. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    I dont stop cars or trucks for mudflaps only commercial vehicles. Commercial vehicles have to have flaps 6 inches or less from the ground. K5 isnt havy enough yet!!! No quotas here.

6. jmpd

jmpd 1/2 ton status

Double check your state laws. Here in AZ blazers are classified as a wagon(the registration says wagon on it), no mudflaps required, no matter how high it is lifted or tire size, the same goes for new Suburbans , Tahoes, Excursions, ETC.

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I got ticketed in Ocean City, MD for parking on the street in a normal space. My tires were sticking out into the street because of radical spacing. Then I got a ticket for parking on the grass. MY OWN LAWN, WE OWN THE BEACH HOUSE I WAS AT. After that I got a ticket for noise violation. It seems my truck, at idle and moving at 15 mph, is more noisy than drunk parties and low riders with bass. Then got accused of going onto the beach with my rig. My tire tracks were 1.5 ft larger then the ruts left in the sand, got them photograhed. My dad raised a complaint of harassment and took the city to Court. I have a nice appolgy letter from them now and no paid fines.

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Another thing I dont get about factory intstalls is window tint. The rear glass in most late model suv's (like s10 blazers) Is almost black. And I get harassed for my tint witch is much lighter than factory but 3% over legal limit. No tickets yet for it though.

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well if you look those vehicles have light front windows. The law here in GA Says that behind the driver as dark as you want to go on truck bassed vehicles but the front windows must be no more than 35%. Thats why the factory tint gets no hassle. Stupid thing is why shouldn't the same thing apply to cars? I want to tint the back window of my Supra 20% ( thats darker than 5 for those that don't know...it's the amount of light alowed to pass through) to save the interior but that would be illeagle because it's a car....I can paint the back window of my K5 black and it would be legal.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/