Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WA state mud flap laws??

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by shane74, Jul 17, 2002.

1. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Anybody have any info on this?? I haven't heard of this before, but a guy at work got a ticket yesterday for not having mud flaps on his truck. He runs 8" of lift and 36" TSL's I sit right about the same height as he does with 7" lift and 38" TSL's. I am just trying to avoid a ticket.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm not 100% sure, but AFAIK, you're sposed to have flaps in both OR/WA. I know when I went to TSF last time, a guy got pulled over and got a warning. It was silly, cause he had the mud flaps (they attached to his hitch, he just hadnt put em back on after the trail!). Anyway, in my experience, it really depends on the cop, and how blatantly your tires stick out. The guy that got pulled over had an old land cruiser with FAT tires, i forget what size, but they stuck WAY out from the fender. I was thinking about putting on flaps... but if I only drive on road with the 35s and offroad in the 39.5s... I doubt I'll have a problem... I never have yet.

J

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Yup, gotta be at least as low hanging as the hub. 1/2 the tire heigth. and , you cant be sticking out , must have flares in Wa , but thats more leniant.
    people got tickets in Naches both.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Oregon requires the top of the tire to be covered and mud flaps or fenders to come down to center of tire height. Not exactly sure on WA yet.

I had one truck that I hung mud flaps off of the rear bumper and didnt have any problems with getting stopped.

5. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. My tires don't stick out at all, and I run my 33's in town. I save my 38's (they don't stick out either)for off road only. I don't think I'll have any problems. You never know though. I could run across the PO'd cop one day.

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Yup.. what the ugly chev guy said.. i been pulled over a few times for not havign them.. i do now... go to a truck store.. like 18 wheeler store.. they sell big ones for like 7 bucks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

Being an ex-conveyor belt mechanic I still can get rems from where I used to work, so if anyone wants to make there own mud flaps let me know and I will see what I can come up with.. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

In oregon, do you have to have mud flaps on both the front and rear? I'm only runnin 33's and don't stick out, but soon to be adding a 2" body lift...might have to then.

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Chris, any chance you know an old friend of mine, Doug Wiesinger? He was a conveyor belt mechanic..........hired him away from that in 1995 or 1996.

10. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

No, do not know the name. Who did he work for?? Yes you did him a favor getting him out of that line of work............. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Didit for 16 years, now a member of the BBC (broken back club)

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Don't remember the outfit, but he WAS glad to get out of it.........tough work.

12. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

He probably did field work (the worst) which I did not do, but still, I have had surgery on both elbows, and my back with out good results, but oh well we must all move on and that is what I am doing now. NO MORE INSURENCE CO...(Oregon Workers Comp. System sucks)................................ /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

13. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    In oregon, do you have to have mud flaps on both the front and rear? I'm only runnin 33's and don't stick out, but soon to be adding a 2" body lift...might have to then.

[/ QUOTE ]
    in oregon you only need to have them in the rear

14. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

15. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

All I know is oregon law states:
    the flap must be no more then 20" from the ground. and the tire must not stick out pass the fender lip.

the two test they do is stick a quarter on the bedside and drop it, if it hits the tire you get a ticket, or they use thier clipboard as a striaght edge.

only thing is my buddy got a ticket for having his be too tall and stick out, and he took a tape measure and a video camera down to city hall and measured all the trucks and broncos, blazers, and such and none of them met the laws, the judge said " how can we rule this if we can't even follow this" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

16. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Way to go for him.

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

That would be cool! Thanks! You didn't used to work for Goodyear down on Swan Island did you?

18. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

No I worked for a outfit called Beltservice Corp. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

19. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ahhhh...I did some work with that company many moons ago up in Anacortes. They guy (and girl that was his helper) were nice people. Don't suppose you ever were up that way??

20. Chevit

Chevit 1/2 ton status

No never been up that way...