Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WAAHOO!!! Got my Lock-Right for the 60 today!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KRAZIE87K5, Oct 18, 2002.

1. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Anyone else out there have one of these bad boys installed in their rig? Anything tricky I should look for? The last one of these I installed was in a 10b! From the looks of it, the job should be almost identical. Any other input?

Then I called up Randy's R&P for the King Pin rebuild kit, Spicer part # 706395X which includes everything except the actual pin on the top side. The lower bearing and race and the upper and lower dust caps/seals. Something like $22 per side. Should get here Monday, then the rebuilding of the 60 begins! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Finally, I need to install the 5012s after relocating the axle mounts on the 14B.

Can't wait to start wrenching! I'm getting so excited to try out the new front locker! /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

-Dan

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

It's a breeze. Just follow the directions. Only trouble I had was getting the roll pin out of the cross pin. It only comes out one direction but looks like it could go either way. IIRC, you have to drive it from the passenger side even though it looks easier to go the other way...

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

It does go either way. Its best to have a roll pin punch also. One thing to consider. If you have 4:56 gears which I don't remember what you have. You will probably have to remove the carrier and take off the ring gear to get the shaft out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Me and Grim did mine and it went pretty easy.

4. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Oh and the roll pin punch can be purchased at Ace Hardware. I looked at several other places and nobody had it. If you need the Ace # let me know I will look it up

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I installed a LR in a 10 bolt rear once. Not too bad a job, but it did take some careful work and this was one of those jobs where I wished I had a third arm. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The D60 shouldn't be any different than the 10 bolt.

6. BadDog

Hmmm, that's what I initially thought. I was using the correct sized punch and beat the devil out of it. Actually bent the punch and flattened the end a little, it would only go about 1/8 toward the passenger side from start. When I went to the other side, it tapped right out without a problem. <shrug> Must just be something about my carrier, figures... Also, I have 4.56 and the pin slid right out.

7. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

I tapped mine back and forth and then towards the passenger side. But put it in from the driverside. IS your gears aftermarket or OEM. Mine are Spicer gears. Might be a brand thing. who knows.

8. BadDog

They were in it when I got it. Presumably they are OEM Spicer from the military (ex CUCV).

9. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Hey Dan, with any luck you will not be calling that locker a Pop Right! That's what the boyz in Oklahoma call them! Just razzing you! I bought a Detroit for my D60. Full Case locker - cant really get any better. No o-rings to blow (right Steve Fox?) and I really don't need the on-off selectibility of a pricey ARB. I bought mine used from EBay for $415. Just hope it gets here in time for Potosi next weekend. All I have to do is put the right shims in to get correct Backlash and pattern and I should be good to go! Geez, I have a $&!T load to do! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. KRAZIE87K5

Like I was going to tell Wes about the 10b version I installed last, the damn thing failed on me 4 times. The fourth and final time blew the 10b carrier in half! But the god thing is that Lock Right kept right on replacing the units for me! But let me tell you this... the Lock Right for the 60 is one big chunck of steel. This thing is heavy, and looks more durable than the wimpy 10b... for obvious reasons I suppose! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was recently in AZ, and got enough spare time to go out for a run with those guys. Marv Springer has a LR in his front axle, and he's been running it for 2 years with no problems. I am kinda hoping to have similar luck! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Keep your fingers crossed for me! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

-Dan

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

Let me know how it goes. I have one sitting on my bench waiting to go in! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Mike

12. KRAZIE87K5

Will do! I expect that the LR will do well in a front axle. The one that detonated inside my ol 10b really took a whopping. I had a FI 350 in there, with a stage 2 shift kit in a 700R4, and used to beat the %@$$%@!#@ outta that truck. With all due respect... I busted a 30 spline axle out of the 10b once, and the LR stayed in one piece! I also went thru 3 700R4s... 2 350s... 1 axle shaft... and numerous elec. issues due to flooding the truck on one of its adventures with me! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I guess the LR did ok... the only reason I bought one is because I vaporized the stock spiders in the carrier! OOOPS!

-Dan

13. BadDog

I would not personally run a LR in anything smaller than a D60. But, like you say, the D60 LR is much bigger. In fact, it looks to be about as substantial as the C14FF Detroit… I had my mind set on a full DL until I talked to Matt (NoRulz, the guy driving the Dodge when you were out here). He has been running one in his F350 truggy since (IIRC) 97 or so. So far it has survived with 42” TSLs, multiple broken shafts and joints, and is taking the torque of a doubler with NO problems. That recommendation, combined with the relative ease of installation plus the saved money (DL costs much more PLUS you have a setup kit and labor or tools) convinced me to give it a try. So far, so good…

14. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, hope its stronger than the one for the 10bolt... busted my LR in a matter of weeks playing in the sand... of course i got 4.56 and 35"s

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I have the lock right in my blazer 12b with a big diesel engine, 500lbs of torque, with 35" tires, haven't broken anything yet.
    As far as the pin goes it can only come out from one side even if it looks like it can go both ways.
    And I had the shaft hitting the ring gear, it needed about 1/64" and I had read in one magazine that you can grind a little at this point because you shouldn't have any contact at this point anyway and I checked the conatct pattern from wear and it's true so I grinded it and the shaft slid right out.
    So far after 2 years no problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

2 years... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif...

Dan, I've been running a Lock Rite in the rear since 1992 (although it is the 2nd one) and in the front since 1996 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif..

...maybe I'm just lucky! .... but not as lucky as Robzilla /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Marv