Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wacky tach

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Blaze, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

My tach in my 92 Yukon has been doing some crazy things. If I am accelerating up to speed, it works just fine, but once I am holding at a speed, it jumps around. Say I am holding steady at 2k, it will jump to 2100, down to 1900, and all around that area. Almost like an ignition problem. If I turn the radio off and listen to the motor, it sounds just fine. Could it be electrical or is there something really wrong with my truck? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

torque converter locking up?

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Hell if I know. How do I find out? Never messed with my TC before.

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

If you have a 700R4 you will see wires going to a connection on the driver side of the transmission. just unhook it and drive down the road to see if it still jumps around if it doesnt jump around then it is the TC but if it still jumps around check the connections on the tach. I unhooked my TC from the com about 4 months ago b/c it was lockin down at like 40-50mph but i could do 80mph at 1800rpm and got better mpg but still trying to pass ppl on way to school was sketchy cuz no acceleration. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

5. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'll try that. The truck also seems to be kinda pokey and likes to burn up my tranny fluid when I tow. Could there be the TC also?

6. yukon guy

yukon guy Registered Member

Id be willing to bet $500 on it thatit is either the connection at the dist. or the dist its self. On another car that i had it did the samething and it was the dist. when i put a new one on it fixed the problem so try that before you do anything else cause im 99.99% sure that will fix it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Well, the alternator went bad on me two nights ago. I put a new one on and the tach went back to normal. Go figure. I have yet to figure this crazy truck out.

8. 89K1500Chevy

Ok Yukon guy time to pay up the $500 you can send a check....but cash is better..... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

9. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Since it was my problem, don't I get the check? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. yukon guy

yukon guy Registered Member

well you did not notice the volt meter doing anything funny?
    well do you take ious?

11. 89K1500Chevy

well mabey we could split it I bet that it wasnt what he said so........Id rather have an iou then to have you beat me outta the cash /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

12. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

These trucks do so strange things.Ihad trouble with radio in mine,One side would just quit for no reason andhad lot of static when I hit rough bumps.By accident I noticed the small ground strap from battery to fender was broke,fixed it and radio probs went away.Go figure!!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Deal, we can split it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The voltmeter always did strange things, even before my last alternator. I just figured it was just how it was. Now with my new alternator it camps out right where it should.