Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wadya think? Ebay ethics.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fubeca, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

I recently sold an RV trailer on Ebay. As soon as the auction ended I sent an email with my home and cell phone #s. I requested that the winner contact me asap to schedule pickup since my wife and I were busy and would have to schedule him in. I didn't explicitly label my phone numbers as home/cell but included them both. The auction specified a non-refundable deposit of $100 and that the trailer needed to be picked up in 10 days.

Well he sends me an email talking about how busy he is and that he isn't sure when he'll be able to be down -- maybe the next weekend. So Friday at 10:30 A.M. he emails me and says he is leaving and driving to somewhere in Wisconsin to pick up a motor his son bought and then swinging back up through my town to pick up the trailer maybe Saturday or Sunday and he would call me when he gets close (he lives ~7 hours from here).

Anyway, I have stuff to do and can't stick around my house all day Saturday and Sunday. I sent him an email right back saying to call me if he has any trouble and leaving him my cell number again (but he'd already left).

So, I'm out and he calls my house -- no answer. 4 hours later, I'm still out and he shows up. No one there. He never calls my cell# because his wife didn't send it with him.

He leaves a note and a message on my home answering machine. When I get home I call him back and he is already several hours away. I decide to refund him $20 and just keep the $80 to cover my listing fees -- and relist the trailer.

Well today the relisted auction ended and the trailer sold for about $350 more than he had won it for :D.

I get a message from him
    "Hello, I guess you remember me, I see that Lady Luck has smiled on you with the relisting and sale of the trailer.. Perhaps you might reconsider the situation we experienced , and perhaps be a bit more fair in so far as your refund to me."

What do you think? Should I give him anything? He is out a bit of gas and time since he came here and didn't get the trailer. But I'm out time and I needed the money then not weeks later. Plus I bore all the risk -- If the trailer had sold for $300 less do you think he would be offering me a refund?

What do you'all think -- by the way neither of us have left feedback about the transaction -- per his suggestion.

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

really its a judgement call... only if you want to be nice and have him share in your good fortune,,,

if he didnt follow instructions you are free and clear,,, thats the way it is,,, but if you want to be nice ...sure ..you could give him a tank of gas,,, but if hes a jerk in any way politely hang up on him

3. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wouldn't refund any more. YOu were very fair and very clear in your dealings. He should have made a better effort in picking up the item or at least communicating with you. Congrats on making more money off of it.

Doug

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

it stated non refundable you gave him something right?

pick up was his responcablity his problem.

if you sell stuff on ebay and like your rateing mabet give him another 30 then its 50/50

if you dont care about your rateing then buyers responceablity sp??

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

send him a copy of the listing and outline the points of sale and if he dont like it then his problem and he will learn. then if he gives you bad feedback tell ebay what happened and thay might do somthing about it. and dont ever leave feedback till thay have left theres . i am still waiting for some and will leave theres in the last 5 min of time aloted to do so . that way others will know how rotton thay are. and dont leave feedback to the seller as the system works there.

in short tell him to eat his mistake and learn from it. he snozze he loose.

6. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

His note to you is a lame attempt at getting something for nothing. It the same ruse that bums on the street use when they want money ... try to make you feel guilty for being successfull. " I see that Lady Luck has smiled on you with the relisting and sale of the trailer" means "You've got money and I want it". You should respond to this by saying" Yes, I am grateful I was able to find another buyer after the first one bailed on me."

As for his request that you "be a bit more fair in so far as your refund to me" .... you do realize that he just insulted you and your integrity, right? This guy has a problem defining the word "fair". To be "fair" everyone follows the rules and behaves in a honest manner. You followed the rules (he didn't) and even gave him some of your own money as consolation for his problems. I wouldn't have given him anything. You were more than fair in that you followed the rules and acted in a honest manner.

You can do whatever you think is right since you have to live with the decision. You don't owe him anything. You fulfilled your end of the bargain and he dropped the ball on his. He should consider himself lucky that he got ANY of his non-refundable deposit back. It appears that you went the extra mile for him and now he wants you to go a few more miles ..... don't bother.

Oh yeah ....... congrats on selling the trailer.:thumb: :thumb:

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The guy bought the trailer gave you 100 to hold it for him.

He contacted you and told you he would be there To pick it up and pay for it

He contacted you again to arrenge to close the deal when he was 4 hours away.. You werent home. Too busy as you stated it.
    Too busy to even call home and check for messages on the answering machine when you knew someone was going to call????

He came by you weren't home. Once again you must have been too busy to sell the trailer.
    Seems to me held up his end of the deal. You are the one that caused him the time trouble and expence to go to your place to pick up the trailer. AND NOT BE THERE. When you list a big object on Ebay and sell it you should be prepaired to deal with the hassle of people coming from a long way away to buy it. And at least try to accomidate them.

Give him back the 80 bucks. Dont be greedy. What comes around goes around.

BTW Ebay does not charge relisting fees if someone does not pay. You could claimed non payment and relisted for free.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

If I were in your shoes, I would have refunded him the whole thing. Like Thunder said, you can relist free if the deal doesn't complete on ebay, so his failure to comply didn't really cost you any more than irritation.
    It's not like he sent you $100 and didn't bother to follow up, it sounds like he put considerable effort into closing the deal, even if he bungled some of the terms.
    To be honest, I think you should have tried to be a little more flexible with the pickup. I like having a distinct time to be ready, but I've learned you have to be pretty flexible if a person is driving long distance to meet up with you... I even had to help a guy repair his Taurus throttle after he drove 100 miles to pickup a transfer case I sold on ebay.

If he made the deposit, then you never heard from him for a month or something, I'd not refund him at all and would have relisted asap, but it sounds like he did try to make it happen.

9. Fubeca

Fubeca 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the thoughts, I was having a hard time seeing both sides of the story.

I can't check my answering machine unless I'm home (stupid old-school technology). I stayed within 30 minutes of home and kept my cell phone on all day. Don't you have to file a non-paying bidder form or something to not have to pay when you relist -- he didn't want that.

I've bought and sold vehicles on Ebay before without a problem. When this sale is done and I've cash in hand I'll decide for sure.

10. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Sounds cheesy, but I'd just be the better person and give him is 80 bucks back. I'm not one for taking advantage of people, may have been his fault for not fallowing your directions, but he got screwed either way. He didn't get the trailer, you made more money on it selling it to someone else. So whats it hurt to give him his money back? Just my 2 cent:)