Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wagner spray gun

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Mar 12, 2002.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Has anyone ever used one of those self powered wagner spray guns to paint their truck? I have a 69 Baja Bug, and I was thinking of painting it myself.....If it turned out halfway decent, I'd maybe attack the K5 too

http://alaskank5.freehomepage.com/index.html

2. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Do you mean a Wagner Power Painter? Used mine on the deck. Never tried it on the truck, but I seriously considered it before I sold it. Still would've taken a hellava lot a paint to hide all that rust, though! I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just tape the hell out of it and allow for plenty of ventilation. Use the 1 gal. paint resesoir (if you have one) instead of the 1 qt. tank that screws on the bottom. The Wagner will go through a quart of paint in no time.

3. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I mean the power painter, I've used it around the house a lot, seems to basically spray anything....I've used latex and acrylic based paints without a problem, what type of paint should I use on this bug of mine?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Water color.../forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Uhhh, if I remember right, back when I was in body shop school, I heard about a fella painting his car with one of those things and blew up his shop!! See, auto paint is NOT waterbased like the paint that is used on houses. Therefore is very flammable!!! Being that a power painter is, well, powered, the risk of explosion is very high unless your planning on painting this thing outside!! My advice, buy a real spraygun, and save the powerpainter for your house!! Do some pricing, Binks Model 7 is about the best gun I've ever used. There are a lot of companies that have built guns from the same design amd most can be had for around $100.

6. OldBlew

OldBlew Registered Member

Talk about an easy flame job......