Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wagoner Machine 3.6:1 reduction gears for 203.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Anyone notice that Wagoner Machine doesn't seem to offer the 3.6:1 reduction gearset for the NP203 anymore? It looks like now it's only offered as a 3.1:1 ratio....

Could there have been reliability issues, or am I not looking in the right place?

Here's the link

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It had something to do w/ the machining of the case. When they changed it I remember reading that somewhere. It was either on their site or PBB.

3. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Some Ford 203's needed clearancing in order to make the gears fit. They switched to 3.1:1 to fit all applications. One more time when Ford messes it up for the rest of us. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Bigjbear hit the nail on the head. It is because of the Machining of the Case. Not many people want to pay the price. I would like to convert my NP203 to 3:1 someday though.

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

No machining anymore....?

Does that mean that you can buy just the gearset from them now. No "Core" charges, etc?

Seems that the cost should be a lot less now too...That would be nice, I think the 3.6 Gearset conversion was around $1000.

Any idea what the "new" setup costs?

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry, I said that wrong. All of the 3.1:1 kits are $1000 exchange. The reason you exchange your case is they have to do 2 things to the range box to get the 3.1:1 setup. First, they have to macnine the case clear through in several spots. They then weld a strap over the hole - this takes some professional welding technique to weld mild steel to cast. They also have to anneal, re-tooth, and heat treat the input gear. They then assemble the range box and ship it. They have done some super custom stuff like a Divorced NP203 range box to a Divorced NP205. They have the capability to do almost anything!

Now for the 3.6:1 gears. When a company starts a new product, they typically try to capture all the offroad market to be successful. WMS intended this with the 3.6:1 gearset. Well, they later found out they had trouble with the 3.6:1 gear set fitting the FROD (pronounced fraud) NP203 range box - so they discontinued it.

So, bottom line is, for $1000 you can have 3:1 gearing in a NP203 range box and it is a bolt in installation once you receive your newly geared rangebox. Hope this helps. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

As good as they are, I wouldnt put it past them to develop a new NP203 type fabricated range box with the ability to bolt a NP205 directly to it!

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

"As good as they are, I wouldnt put it past them to develop a new NP203 type fabricated range box with the ability to bolt a NP205 directly to it!"
    That would be intresting.

8. Ruthiford

Ruthiford Registered Member

HUMMM? 203 case made out of aluimnum to save weight???