Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wahoo-winch problem solved

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Jan 13, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I bought a used 8274 winch for $200, the only problem was that the motor would pull but would not release the cable automatically. I had Warn sent me a wiring diagram and after fixing the wiring which was messed up it would still not work. Turns out that one of the 4 solenoids was not working, a new solenoid pack from Warn is $160 but my friend told me that the solenoid looked just like a "Ford" solenoid so I bought one for $8 and it is now working like champ(Finally I found a use for something from Ford). I can't believe I got an 8274 for $200 and an $8 solenoid. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

That sounds like a real good deal. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. swampthang1

swampthang1 Registered Member

Dont depend on the Ford soleniod the reason behind this is because the Ford soleniod is not a constant duty 12 volt soleniod it is designed to run for a few seconds and stop. I have the same winch and ran into the same problem although there is a place here in town that sell warn replacement parts and had the entire soleniod pack complete for $50 what a deal. Anyways dont go out depending on it to have a long live you might want to buy a few extra Ford soleniods for $8 each to have a spare if it goes south while out on the trail

5. bajaviking

"(Ford soleniod is not a constant
    duty 12 volt soleniod it is designed to run for a few seconds and stop)"

Hmm, I see, just like the rest of the car. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, thanks for the tip. At that price it won't hurt carry a spare.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Problem isnt the spare part. You could carry 20 spares, but if the load exceeds its capability, I think it will just keep blowing. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Acutally, you did say it was only release that was blown.. carry the old one just in case? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. bajaviking

Yeah, it's only release, in the worst case I can pull out the cable manually. I guess only time will tell how long the solenoid lasts.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Yes, the solenoids that warn uses in the solenoid packs are the same exact thing that ford uses in their starting system.