Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WAHT KIND OF 42s

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RUSS84K5, Jan 19, 2001.

1. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Stephen,
    What kind of 42s are you going with on your Blazer?
    What kind of tread are you looking at? I'm looking for some tall ones that aren't too fat. 13/38/16 Supper Swampers look good but I would really like a radial. I would like to be able to drive the K5 out to other parts of the country to wheel. Any thoughts?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I got the 15-42-15 TSLs, pretty much the tallest "skinny" tire you can get. I figured a 15" cross section on a 42" tire could be called skinny. I don't plan on driving it cross country much anymore, but I figue I can go back to a 37 or 38" radial if I get the urge.
    You could try the 38" swamper radial, or back off to the 37" SSR. They're reasonably priced and work pretty well on the asphalt, and off-road.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

That turck of your's will be darn mean looking. I wounder if the 15 inch rim will fit over the Ford dual piston calipers, they are kinda long and tall compared to the GMs. but you could always put the GM rotors and hub on I guess. I think I'm going to leave the K5 alone for the summer. Maybe I'll just save and build my dream drive train. That would be the 454, 700R4, 14 bolt rear that I have now, and the doubler with Ford 205 and the high pinion D60. Got all the parts, I just have to rebuild them.
    Thanks for your time

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I remember a few months ago in a 4WD mag, they lifted an early bronco that had 3/4 ton ford axles with those calipers. They used 15" rockcrawlers from 4WPW, so it can be done.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

5. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. That will be good to know for any future big tire swap since there are so many more choices in a 15 inch rim, and I really like the dual pison calipers as far as the way they mount. Dose anyone have any comparison info between the Ford and GM style concerning breaking performence?

6. Stephen

Don't plan on putting a 15" wheel on the ford brakes without seeing it done first. I know it can happen, but am not sure what it takes. The dual piston calipers are quite a bit bigger than the GMs. But you are right, the GM knuckles out should interchange directly. That way you even get to use the GM stubs shafts which are MUCH easier to get in 35 spl. versions.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

7. ROCKBUGGYK5

ROCKBUGGYK5 1/2 ton status

the ford parts are not interchangable, unless u change the stub shafts to gm, the fords are a 1/2 inch shorter i am sure about this it was a long topic on pirate4x4, the ford locking hubs are even different, plus the ford is a 5 bolt spindle, and the chevy is a 6

ROCKBUGGY K5 38S LOCKED AND CHOPPED

8. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Steve,
    How difficult will it be to get 35 spline outters onto my Ford D60. I think that Ford D60s are much more abundent than the GMs becuase of all the F250 HDs and the F350s that were built. GM only used them in the K30s for about 11 years. I have to buy new hubs as it is, so I would would really like to go 35 spline. Also, can you supply HD inner axle shafts for my Ford D60, and at what cost? I'v seen one that taper down and ones that maintain the full radius.
    as always, thanks for your help

9. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

any set plans for trimming the body stephen? any certain look youre going for?

10. Stephen

On the stubshafts, there's some talk floating around about using a GM stubshaft that's been shortened to fit in a Ford axle, so I think it'll work. You end up with some marginal spline engagement, but the axles are WAY cheaper than a ford unit. Locking hubs should be the same. I'll keep an eye out for how it works. It might be easier to make the GM/ford hybrid stub work if you use a full time drive gear, if you want to go that route. I've thought about it for my K5. But that pretty much makes sure that you're going to break a ujoint, or something else in the drivetrain, so don't know if I'm that excited about full time gears. We're back to the old question of where to put the weak link.

GM's should interchange from the knuckle out, you have to change the knuckle to get the new spindle pattern, that's where it all starts.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with the sawsall, probably just make rooom for the tires. I've thought about finding some glass fenders, but they all have 35" tire holes in them and no way to trim them out and make them look good. Plus seriously wadded up glass is no different than seriously wadded steel, you're buying new and steel's cheaper.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD