Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

waisted my morning. inspection rejection

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fright89, May 4, 2002.

1. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

Last night I just happened to take a glance at my inspection sticker and noticed a big number 2. So off I go to get a sticker first thing this morning. The guy at the first place I go to looked at my truck and said. as he waived his big finger back and fourth (speaking like the guy down at the 7/11)"You put lift on truck, you very bad man, very very bad man. I can not make inspection for you." So I showed him the sticker from last year but that did not seem to help. My truck is mild compared to must of yours. The lift law in Mass. is 2" up or down, I think. My truck is not out of control, the link in my bio should still take you to some pics.
    Anyway off to the next place I go. When I get there the are 3 cars in front of me so its about a forty minouts wait. Finally in it goes, safety inspection was fine allthoe apparently I needed a new gas cap. mine is not pressurizing. WTF? Now the guy turns it around and up on the dyno it goes. Failed emissions.
    So here is my question. NOx GPM failed. Reading 4.84 Limit 3.50 What should I be looking at to correct this problem? 350 TBI thanks

2. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Man, what kind of inspections nazi are you going to?? I used to do them out in Billerica and we were never that bad. Never heard of any inspectors actually checking the gas cap either....what did you say to this guy?? Maybe you should have kept the Slushy jokes to yourself.

As far as a fix, do the following: two things of dry gas, one thing of injector cleaner. one thing of Outlaw 104+ octane boost and then top it off with Sunoco Ultra 94. Clean your throttle body with some carb and choke cleaner while revving the engine and also shoot some in the PCV line (from the valve towards the throttle body) while revving the engine. You should see some smoke and crap blow out the tailpipe, this is normal. Now take it out on the highway and drive it like ya stole it. Then go straight to the inspection station while it's good and hot. Go to a place like Penske or something out in the burbs. You should pass emissions with flying colors, and they're more forgiving with lifts etc.

Let me know how it works out for ya!

Ben

3. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

I was told that dirty oil can give you high NO readings. I'm not sure if this is true or not but it couldnt hurt. Let me know if it works.

4. greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth 1/2 ton status

While you were waiting for in the 40 minute line up did you leave the truck running, or turn it off??

I've seen guys fail emissions who turned their car off in the line-up, only to pass the next time thru after driving it hard and reving it in the line-up.

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Change your O2 Sensor. Good general tune up including plugs, timing and check the cap and wires. Make sure the EGR is working.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I hear ya. I hate those places who inspect everything by the book. Last year I failed because I did not have a license plate light cover!! AHHHHH!

7. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

fright, just don't buy that stuff in autoparts stores that guarantees to pass your car. The fine print renders it worthless. Here in Ohio they don't have testing in our state capital (politicians can't piss off the people surrounding them) but the smaller communities with less traffic have it! Go figure...It's all just another illegal tax anyway. The people in PA threw it out. The politicians here won't even put it on the voting ballot. Just venting! Good luck, Gary

8. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Everybody seems to have an opinion on this, so here's mine...

Like others said, clean oil and fresh spark plugs are a must. Next, simply remove the air filter right before you get to the inspection station. Leave the housing there so everything looks on the up-and-up, but take out the filter inside. You would not believe how much this helps. Has worked for me several years in a row now. On a carb truck, you can lean out the air/fuel ratio temporarily and that works too, but obviously not on TBI.