Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wait a minute... what's backspacing exactly..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Jul 25, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

so i think i forgot what backspacing was and now im a little confused.. i posted a question nearly exactly like this one, and someone provided a little diagram, but now the picture on that thread won't show, so here it is again.. gettin' new wheels for the truck, just some black 15x8 Cragar's, but dont know the backspacing necessary. I want them to look stock, or at least not stick out, but i dont want to have to grind my rotors or anything. so is it the more backspacing the farther out, or the farther in?? what's as close as i can get?? thanks, sorry for the repost..

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

more backspacing further in

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

put a ruler across the back of the rim (yard stick maybe) then measure from the rim surface to the ruler, thats backspacing

4. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

This diagram is a little misleading in that you want your straight edge on the inner flange not on top of the lip. That'll give you an excessive measuement. Then down to the wheel mounting surface.

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html
    [​IMG]

5. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ahhh... it all makes sense now.. does anyone have experience on whether 4.25" backspacing will work for the front(10bolt) and the rear(14bff) with no fabrication?? Will they stick out/suck in a little? Thanks again guys...