Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

waiting for help, w/ fuel guage

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LKJR, Jul 17, 2002.

1. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm sitting here waiting for help, my fuel guage, 3 prongs how do I test to see if it works, two posts go into the circut panel and one does not...

2. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

try to do a search, i remember there being something posted about this. it involved grounding the sending wire and seeing if the gauge went to empty or full, if the gauge didn't move then the gauge was faulty. can't remember all of the details but maybe this will trigger someone with a better memory. good luck

3. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Also, try asking over on 67-72chevytrucks.com

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

How to test your gauge! Go to your gas tank and unplug the one wire from the sending unit! Turn your truck to run... It should read empty! touch the one wire from sending unit to chasis, gauge should read Full! If anything different, check continuinty of One wire to sending unit.... If Continuious, check that you have 12 Volts coming in one of the three connections in dash! One wire is Hot= 12 volts, one wire is always grounded for gauge!, last wire goes to sending unit and varies the ground to adjust the reading on the gauge! If Continuos on wire to sending unit and have 12 volts on one of the leads to gauge, than make sure you have a constant ground on third wire!!!! If all is good and gauge did not do as above, Than it is your gauge! If gauge moves when you do the sending wire test,... It's your sending unit! It's not a halfway thing!!!!

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

This guy is smoking crack, I'll try to figure it out, I've got the dash pulled, it's a lot easier than trying to disconnect the one on the tank......still trying to figure this out

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Than run a jumper from the connector to the fuel gage to the chasis, but if your problem lies underneath, then your ******! By the way, I didn't Inhale!!!
    /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

if you have pulled your dash,then check for 12 volts at the wire that goes to the guage.mine had the same problem.also if you pull the wire going to the fuse block(should be brown wire coming in through the firewall and then plugs in at the top of the fuse block just right of the top blinker clicker)you should get around 180 ohms if you put the one multimeter test leads from that wire and the other to a good ground with your fuel tank close to full.hope this helped/let me know if this got it going.at least then you will know its not your sender.pain in the arse to pull out.