Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wal-Mart Charges $175 for 'Stolen' Manure

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Aug 22, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wal-Mart Charges $175 for 'Stolen' Manure

BROWNSVILLE, Ore. (AP) -- It could have happened to anyone: Charles Gastorf and his wife, Cheryl, forgot to pay the $10 tab for 10 bags of steer manure during a recent shopping trip to their local Wal-Mart.

The two say that in the confusion of shopping on that March day they simply forgot to add in the cost of the manure. When the Gastorfs explained their forgetfulness to Lebanon City Attorney Tom McHill, he dropped shoplifting charges against them.

That could have been the end of the story - except for the letter from the world's largest retailer that soon arrived in their mailbox, demanding $175 in civil damages.

That's when the Gastorfs learned about a little-known Oregon law that allows retailers to pursue civil penalties regardless of whether a person is found guilty or innocent of theft.

The Gastorfs - who live in a manufactured home and are retired - spoke to an attorney, who told them that challenging the action in court could cost them several thousand dollars, much more than the $175 civil claim.

So the Gastorfs paid Wal-Mart the money.

"We wouldn't want to embark on a life of crime at our ages and become manure thieves. I mean, if you were going to steal something, would you steal manure?" Gastorf said.

But Shardon Weber, a spokeswoman for Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart, told The Albany Democrat Herald that the company has decided to refund the Gastorfs' $175.

"It simply seems like the right thing to do," she said.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

s*#t i have lots of the stuff at the farm . thay can have all thay want. when i say thay i mean wal-mart. big corp poo poo heads.:mad:

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

this is why even though i was born in oregon i do not call it home. damn hippes.
    Grant

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they've got plenty of crap on their shelves already, what makes you think they want yours too?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

wait a minute, nobody has said this yet... TURD BURGULARS! :D

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You beat me to it, I was going to say something about them selling crap...

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Wal-Mart IS manure!(long Rant)

I hate Wal-Mart--I live 1/2 mile from a "Super" Wal-Mart,and it has totally screwed up the traffic here big time--now they are planning ANOTHER "Super" Wal-Mart only 3 miles away! :eek1: --making Raynham one of the first towns in the USA to have 2 of them--unfortunatley it will also make our town of about 15,000 THE worst traffic gridlock in the state of massachussetts at the same time..it takes 30 minites to go a few miles here quite often..used to take 5 minites tops.. :mad: Of course the "new" store is going in THE worst place for traffic already,WITHOUT a Wal-Mart being there..

I call it "GREED-MART" after what they did to our town..all they are good for is drawing crooks to our town to steal cars in the parking lot and shoplift to support their drug addiction..and all their "jobs" are mostly minimum wage slave labor, part time, no benifits jobs..and hardly any white people who speak english good enough to understand work there...if you dont see what you want to buy,don't bother asking--they either don't know,or you can't understand their broken english.. :doah:

I hate going there ,its always a battle to find a parking spot,and you have a 1/4 mile hike just to get to the front door of the place!...after you get inside,usually what you went there for is "out of stock"...after walking 700 feet to get it! :mad:(all I buy there is carb cleaner and motor oil--which they dont have half the time!) ..then,when you leave,you find your truck has been "keyed" or backed into by a blind eldery idiot who shouldn't have been let out of the nursing home...or someone used your truck bed for a dumpster while you were inside the store.. :mad:

The cops here dont like it either--they spend more time there than at the police station,booking shoplifters,and trying to find out which brat called 911 on the pay phones and hung up!..400+arrests for shoplifting there this year so far!--and someone crashes their car at the intersection to their parking lot about every 20 minites,and all I hear is sirens screaming all day,responding to the accidents--and sitting in the gridlocked traffic while they sweep up the carnage..the druggies use the parking lot for a place to meet "customers" and so do hookers,and I've seen people shooting heroin in a van there before..Yeah--we really need TWO places like this in our small town! :surepal: :screwy: :screwy:

So--thats why I don't buy S*** from Wal-Mart!--they GIVE us plenty for free!...

I'd rather pay MORE at a smaller store,walk only 100ft instead of a mile,and get home in 5 minites,instead of taking 20 just to go thru the checkout counter at Wal-Mart--which usually has 3 cashiers working,and 15 empty registers,and a line of customers 50ft long waiting at the 3 registers that are open...and I'd NEVER buy food there again!..yes,its cheaper--but FOR A REASON!...(like its old and spoiled half the time!).. :doah: :crazy:

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I actually hate Walmart because it's so convenient... Too easy to spend money there.
    We went last week, I just wanted to return a PS2 controller and get some quick stuff for the bike (battery, oil). I hate the auto parts places in my area, and Circuit city/BestBuy are the same as Walmart, so I figure might as well hit walmart and do both chores at once...

Well anyway, I walk in with my mission, and walk out $200 lighter with a new bicycle for the Mrs. and I each, and a ton of other crap for whatever, etc... Oh, and for the irony of it, I didn't get a battery, oil, or return the controller...

edit:
    Also, I love the convenience of Walmart. When we were camping a couple weeks ago, we needed a bunch of crap we forgot and groceries. Walmart was the only place even remotely local that sold camping gear, and they also had groceries that worked out perfect. I think we spent around $50 there that time.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

IMHO Wal Mart is partly resposible for the decline of western civilization. But without Wal Mart there would be no sams club and then where the hell would I get my IBC root beer for $6 bucks for 24 :mad:

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

No corporation or product or business is responsible for anything, it's the people who patronize each thing respectively

If you don't like it, don't shop there

Don't blame the devil or the gun, blame the man

11. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd love it IF...

If Wal-Mart wasn't in my neighborhood,I'd probably love the place!...but what its done to our quality of life and traffic here is what gets me PO'ed.(plus they sell mostly China crap now- :mad: -what happenned to "WE sell AMERICAN MADE products whenever possible" ???--must have did away with that policy when Sam Walton died!)--... :rolleyes:

I dont see the need for TWO SUPER Wal-Marts so close together here--there is only so many people and dollars here to spend,and we have about every store you can name here in a 5 mile radius!..its like Dunkin Donuts--there is one on every corner 1/4 mile apart,inside Wal-Mart,Gas Stations,--it nuts!--how the hell do they make any money??--there isn't THAT many people that need coffee!! :screwy: :screwy:

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i gotta stop by Sam's... that's a hell of a deal!

13. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

NICE. That's what I'm talking about. IBC baby! We Idahoians roll together! :bow: