Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wal-Mart & Gun's- what do ya think?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Jul 4, 2002.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Wal-Mart & Gun\'s- what do ya think?

Released yesterday from walmart- seems some guns they have sold have been used in serious crime's, so they are stepping up to the plate, and mandating back ground checks. I thought the Brady Bill required these to begin with, but seems like a good idea to me.--- I mean if you can LEGALLY have a gun- it will only take minutes to prove it- with a record check- and if you can't have a gun- you shouldn't have one anyway-..

here's the text
    Wal-Mart Offers Stiff Gun Sales Policy
    Thu Jul 4, 4:45 AM ET
    By BRIAN SKOLOFF, Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) - Wal-Mart, the nation's largest gun seller, has implemented a rule requiring customers to be approved in a background check before they can buy rifles and shotguns, in a policy that exceeds federal guidelines and represents a victory for gun-safety advocates.

After the retail giant's own research showed that weapons it sold were being used in crimes, the company began requiring background clearance for all gun buyers, no matter how long it takes.

The new policy applies to rifles and shotguns sold at Wal-Mart; the retail chain does not sell handguns.

Under current federal law, background checks through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System are required for anyone attempting to purchase a gun. If the results are not returned within three business days, the dealer may complete the sale.

"When we looked into this, we found that the statistics show that a high proportion of the applications not approved within three business days would have been denied," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Jessica Moser Eldred said. "We wanted to make sure we were doing our part to keep guns out of the hands of those who should not be getting them."

Most background checks are completed within minutes, and 95 percent are done in two hours or less. Gun-safety advocates said the remaining five percent should not be given guns until a background check has been completed.

Nine states have standards that exceed federal guidelines for purchasing firearms, though Arkansas, where Wal-Mart is based, is not among them.

Details of the Wal-Mart policy are set forth in an internal memo from the Bentonville-based retailer obtained by The Associated Press. Eldred confirmed that the memo had been sent out last month to all 2,600 American stores and that the new policy is now in effect.

"Selling one gun to somebody who should not be buying it was one too many for us," she said.

In April, the Americans for Gun Safety Foundation sent a letter to Wal-Mart and other firearms sellers — including Big 5, Gart Sports, Sports Authority and Kmart — asking them to adopt the so-called "don't know, don't sell" policy.

Recent research showed that, during an 18-month period, more than 10,000 criminals nationwide obtained guns through licensed dealers because their background checks could not be completed within three days, according to the foundation.

"People who have been convicted of felonies, people under restraining orders ... are all supposed to be stopped by these background checks, but they're not stopped," foundation president Matthew Bennett said.

Bennett applauded Wal-Mart's new policy and said other large retailers may follow suit. "It's absolutely a step in the right direction," he said. "Wal-Mart is by far the biggest retailer of guns."

Officials at the National Instant Criminal Background Check System support the policy as an extra layer of protection against criminals obtaining guns.

Gary Wick, the system's assistant operations manager, said the policy adopted by Wal-Mart and other gun dealers can help prevent potentially dangerous situations.

But National Rifle Association spokesman Andrew Arulanandam said Wal-Mart's new policy "penalizes law abiding citizens."

Arulanandam said the NRA has not yet decided how it will respond.

"While we're presently not considering a boycott of Wal-Mart ... we're not going to say there is not going to be any action," he said.

Brandy

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: Wal-Mart & Gun\'s- what do ya think?

With respect to the gun laws of this country, they aren't worth the paper they are printed on. It's amazing, last night a local area cop was arrested for DUI after he smashed into a couple of other vehicles. hmmmm. Every friggin argument for gun control has more holes than a fishnet and I wished the gun control people would shut their pieholes.

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

This coming from the guy who lives in the state with the loosest gun laws around. My Brother-in Law is on the Bennington PD and he pulls people over with guns stuffed in their pants, and its legal. If you want gun control move to Mass., nobody gets to have one there.

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Thats because Mass is a libereal state. I think most reports say that the more people have guns the less violent crime there is. I personaly cherish the right to protect myself and if someone wants to come into my house and challenge me there welcome to it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Try Canada if you want gun control. Nobody I know has a hand gun...in fact other than police issue I've seen exactly two hand guns my entire life. They both belong to my Step-Father and he had to wait months to get em.

Rene

6. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I like switzerlands policy... web page
    Every male must own a gun...I wonder what there crime rates are?

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

hi Brandy /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Common saying: "If we outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns"

Reading beetween the lines: "I want gun control, but dont start with me!!"

NUFF' SAID........... /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

8. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

In June 2002, Wal-Mart made the voluntary decision not to make a gun sale to
    anyone until they received an approved background check from the National Instant
    Check System (NICS), even if the approval process takes longer than three business
    days. Currently, gun retailers can legally make a gun sale without NICS approval
    IF that approval is still pending after three business days.

They're just covering their arse.

9. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I guess I'm for a background check. You still are able to own a gun. And unless you're planning on attacking someone what's the rush? Since a background check is no secret, you know you should purchase the gun a week before you need it. So, if you're going to start your crime spree, plan a week ahead /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I've never had a background check take more then the 3 day period and I've sold tons of guns. Now when it comes to ATF that is a different story. I have been waiting since Sept. for some class 3 firearms to be approved ;-(

11. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I think background checks are good ideas because every now and then I am sure it will help to make sure someone who shouldn't be owning a gun doesn't get it. I mean if you can't wait 3 days to get the gun then why? Are you that pissed off that you need it now for whatever reason? It's called a cooling off period here and that's a good thing... possibly allowing someone buying a gun for a wrong reason to think for those days and realize a gun is not the answer to the question.

However if this person is denied at the Wal-Mart and they haven't cooled off they are the same person who goes into a bad part of town and buys a most likely stolen gun from someone who is, big surprise a criminal. So the little law (or rule) does no good to stop someone who is bad from getting a gun.

Seems gun control keeps getting tighter and tighter and people who follow the rules and obey the laws and losing their rights yet the criminals and ones who are doing the wrong things have all the access they want to the weapons they get and use. Gun control is a joke and hurts the law abiding folks. Criminals don't follow laws.

It pisses me off to see people leave this state who are practicing for the Olympics in shooting be made into criminals because of the guns they own which are the ones used in competition. Are the criminals? NO. Yet our laws are so messed up they hurt people who are doing nothing wrong but practicing a sport they love.

All I know is gun control is out of control and stupid for the most part when you think about the laws on a whole... they can control us folks who follow the law to the letter and will you see crime go down? No... why? It's not the law following folks committing the crimes! We're being screwed because criminals are commiting horrible crimes! I just don't think Wal-Mart has a clue and neither do those fat heads in Washington who support things like this.... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

"Recent research showed that, during an 18-month period, more than 10,000 criminals nationwide obtained guns through licensed dealers because their background checks could not be completed within three days, according to the foundation"

-Gun control is a subject that will always be around.-
    Sure stats can be rattled off by folks but what i want to know is were these people arrested? I sure as hell hope so.

I seriously wonder what these politicians are thinking, Im a law abiding gun owning citizen and I havent committed a crime. Limiting my rights will stop crime, Im sorry its bullsh*t. write to your lame brain "congress sheeple" and tell them to start using their brains instead of wasting time tring to get re-elected.

13. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

What gets to me is that they just closed the biggest gun show here in Cali. down in LA a couple of years ago. Supposedly it was because of a weapons bust that came up with a whole lot of illegal weapons, our wonderful Attorney General found 3, yes 3. To prove thta it wasn't a waste of time he had the LAPD get guns out of the evidence locker and even the officer's own sidearms and put them all on a big table for the news cameras. Show exactly what our politicians think of our intelligence /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

we have over 20,000 gun laws and we have more gun-related crime than before ANY anti-gun laws had been passed. Geee, wonder if those laws work or not...

before 1934 you could buy a tommy gun via MAIL ORDER... now you have to be 21 in some places and show ID to buy BBs for a BB gun. AFAIC, they should just make the death penalty mandatory if u are convicted of a crime where you used a gun.. to be carried out 30 days after the conviction. Problem solved. Im out.

J

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I was in the Army stationed At Ft. Riley, Kansas for 4 years. While I was there I bought 4 different guns...2 from Wal-mart and 2 from a pawn shop. From Wal-mart a Ruger stainless steel 10/22 with sythetic stock, and a Winchester Model 70 in .300 Winchester Mag. From the pawn shop a used stainless steel Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag with 7 1/2" barrel and 2-6X32 stainless scope. And a new Glock model 22 .40 S&W. In all 4 cases all it took was a 5 minute phone call while I waited....and 20 minutes later I was walkin out with my firearms and whatever ammo I happened to want. What the hell is the deal with a damn 15 day waiting period? Doesnt that accomplish the same as the phone call that took 5 minutes? Just a quick record check. Does it really take 15 frickin days? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

16. finnd

finnd Registered Member

1. The background check IS mandated by the brady law. But it says that if you don't have an answer from NICS within 3 days, the dealer can sell the weapon. Wal-Mart is saying that if they don't get a reply in 3 days, they will wait longer. As a libertarian i think that is their perogative, and we can always shop elsewere if we wish.

2. The checks can and do take more then 3 days if you have a very common name, or share the name and a similar address with that of a convicted fellon.

3. As for the wait, and why we would need a gun 'right now', Just ask any woman who wants to get a gun because she just found out that a person is stalking her. Are YOU going to tell her that she needs that 3-day 'cool down period'? How about if start making people wait 3 days and/or undergo a check before they are 'allowed' to excercise some of their other constitutional rights. Perhaps a background check before you are allowed to speak in public?

17. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just ask any woman who wants to get a gun because she just found out that a person is stalking her. Are YOU going to tell her that she needs that 3-day 'cool down period'?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I want somebody who's got no experience at all with weapons to easily get one. If she gets training and range practice with it it's fine but I'm sure they'll not realize how to use the thing and get them or somebody else injured while adding no real protection (gun won't do you any good at all if you can't bring yourself to use it if necessary)...

Just my $0.02 but I dislike 90% of the stupid laws. Even the idiotic paperwork that needs to be filled out. I don't see criminals doing that. The way I see that one is just if somebody steals my gun it's easy for it to get tracked back to me if used in a crime. That's not what I want at all. Fine check my background when I'm going to buy one. Don't register it to me...

18. finnd

finnd Registered Member

------------------------------------------------------------
    I don't think I want somebody who's got no experience at all with weapons to easily get one. If she gets training and range practice with it it's fine but I'm sure they'll not realize how to use the thing and get them or somebody else injured while adding no real protection (gun won't do you any good at all if you can't bring yourself to use it if necessary)...
    ------------------------------------------------------------

But you are making the assumption that since this person doens't have a gun, they must know nothing about them. I grew up arround guns, shooting since I was about 6 or 7. But when I went to college, I had to leave them behind. After school I moved to Northern Virginia and didn't bother to get the shotguns and rifles from my parents house. To assume I didn't konw about gun safety when I walking into a shop to purchase my handgun, would be a mistake.

But yes, I do agree that training is fundamental. However, I don't want to see the level of training mandated. You or I may be able to afford to go to Gunsights or BlackWater, but many people can't. I think just as personal protection is a personal matter, so should be the training.

19. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

I'm sure there's at least a big chunk of people who buy guns when they're scared of something who don't have a clue how to use them safely... Is not a 100% true statement but more than enough who do that to make me nervous...

Aah but training cannot be a personal matter as it affects many of us. It is a safety issue when people don't understand how to safely handle a gun and when they are legally authorized to do so... And once again not saying that everybody doesn't know how to use it but enough of a percentage where I'd like to see at least a few basic things taught.

20. finnd

finnd Registered Member

i would LOVE to see a basic firearms safety class taught in every school. That way everyone graduating has a basic working knowledge of firearms. Starting in elem school teaching the basic "don't touch, leave the area, find an adult" to hs with how to clear a weapon and tell if it is loaded, and the basics of 'never cover anything you aren't willing to destroy, treat ever firearm as if it is loaded, yadda3' I had to take that class in 4th grade in Vermont before I could get my hunting license. This should be a class jsut like drivers and sex education class.
    Include live range training and shooting at things like watermellons and cinder blocks, so they get to see that guns DO destroy, unlike what they see on TV.

Having it mandatory in school would also be a good way to alleviate the worry of the fed creating a list of those who take the class, as if it was voluntary, it would be safe to assume that the majority of citizens who take the class, would be gun owners.