Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wal Mart in Salina, KS is being sued for $5 million

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thatK30guy, Dec 19, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

This is an incident that happened to a lady whom lives in the next county away from me. She and her husband are suing the chain store for 5 million because she had taken some film to be developed and the clerks at the photo dept. had called the cops to interrogate her about 2 pictures, both of which are innocent baby pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Everybody around here is enraged about Wal Mart and are hoping they will lose this case. When you click on the link below, find the "comments" section and read what many have to say.Read about Wal Mart and their fawked up photo department. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is fawked...but so is suing for 5 Mil in my opinion. A formal apology from both police and the store should have sufficed.

Rene

3. thatK30guy

I guess you don't know Salina, KS well enough. I used to live there once. It's a town of around 50K in population and the cops are the worst, next to LAPD.

Most of the stores in Salina sell t-shirts that have "Welcome to Salina, the DUI capitol of the world. Arrive on vacation, leave on probation!" on them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

What does that have to do with Wal-Mart and baby pictures? Did the lady have her picture printed on the front page of the newspaper proclaiming her to be a pedophile? Was she taken down and beaten by the police in the store?

Sounds like she was questioned and released...maybe embarrassing and stupid but hardly worth 5 Million.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    "Welcome to Salina, the DUI capitol of the world. Arrive on vacation, leave on probation!"

[/ QUOTE ]

So there's not much to do other than drink in Salina? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hard to get a DUI if you haven't been drinking and driving in the first place.

Rene

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I got friends down in Medicenlodge, or Medicenchest Ks.(forget the name, but it's something like that) That have emailed me about the whole thing. Pretty crazy case.

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Is she friends with the woman who sued McDonalds for the hot coffee?

C'mon people get a life. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif She'll probably win the case too. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

5 million is beyond ridiculous. Sounds like she decided to try to capitalize on her crappy luck. Walmart, one of the richest companies in the nation, "all we need is a reason to sue them"...

Granted, it's really stupid that the employees called in shots of a naked 3 year old to the police. If you ask me, I'd think that's fairly normal. The scary part is that the person that called it in found it to be more than just parent-kid photos. Heck, I have a dozen pictures of both my kids sitting in a bathtub with a pile of bubbles on thier head or something, it never even occured to me they were naked. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. AGM

AGM Registered Member

Ratch, it looked to me like the article said that the store detained her, not just called the police. I agree an apology would be fair if they had just made a call, but imho detainment warrants a suit - and the amount of the suit may be commensurate with the conditions of her detainment.

In other Walmart news - Wal-Mart found guilty in overtime case

Thursday, December 19, 2002

By William McCall of the Associated Press

PORTLAND -- Wal-Mart, the world's largest retailer, forced employees in Oregon to work unpaid overtime between 1994 and 1999, a federal jury found Thursday in the first of dozens of such lawsuits across the country to come to trial.

The lawsuit in U.S. District Court accused Wal-Mart Stores Inc. of violating federal and state wage laws. The jury did not rule on monetary damages, which will be decided in a separate trial.

More than 400 employees from 24 of Wal-Mart's 27 Oregon stores sued the retailer.
    More here: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf?/news/1219walmart.html

9. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

That is fawked...but so is suing for 5 Mil in my opinion. A formal apology from both police and the store should have sufficed.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I agree with you rene. This country is so law suit happy and greedy that when an unortunate incident like this happens....people try to cash in.

10. thatK30guy

The lady is suing for "humiliation" and "embarrassment." She originally was asking $75K from them but her lawyer jumped it to 5 million.

The pictures in question, from what we understand were nothing but innocent baby pics that even you and I take.
    One pic was of the 3 year old, laying on the living room floor with a bare butt exposed, and the other pic was of the same 3 year old in a family pool with her father, whom "is topless" and they automatically assumed that he was naked. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif All they say you can see in the pic is the fathers shoulders and bald head, thats it.

If anybody knows Anne Geddes, the famous baby photographer, then anyone would know that Anne Geddes should be in prison for taking pics of naked babies. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I don't know about Kans-ass, but in Alabama it is a law that the photo shops must report any "naked" pictures to the authorities. These people in the photo shop were probably just trying to obey the law. I agree that 5M is OUTRAGEOUS! The judicial systems of this nation have gotten way out of hand. There are too many people looking to get rich by getting into the pockets of big business.

I will say that if the police didn't handle the situation in a professional manner she might have a beef with them. I don't see that Wal-Mart did anything wrong.

Mike

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I guess you don't know Salina, KS well enough.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I drove through there about this time last year.
    I used to live there once.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now I know why I didn't like it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

She originally was asking $75K from them but her lawyer jumped it to 5 million

[/ QUOTE ]

that is what i heard, they probably jumped it so they can come down when walmart offers to settle out of court!!

what a crazy lawsuit nation we have become, when they developed the pictures, walmart called the cops, then they were called back when she came to pick them up, walmarts statement is that you can never be too careful when it comes to kids, wonder how many copy-cats they will have??

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I agree that 5M is OUTRAGEOUS

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we all say 'tort reform.'
    -- Mike

15. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think the 5 million dollor suit is so they can settle out of court for hundreds of thousands of dollors.