Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wal-Mart oil and filter question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Jan 7, 2006.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know the manufacture of Wal-Mart brand Super TECH Full Synthetic SAE 10w-30 motor oil? The price is right at $ 12.95 for a 5 qt bottle. Also, who makes there Super Tech oil filters?

Thanks

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Havent a clue but theres a good chance its a quality brand just labeled different. My dad and I use their filters now and again on our daily drivers since our oil gets changed so often, we both put on alot of miles. I cant really complain about anything.

3. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

Penzoil used to make their Super Tech conventional oil, I don't know about the synthetic, but it probably comes from Penzoil too. All of Walmart's bulk oil tanks are either Penzoil or Quaker State, but Penzoil is their main supplier. I found all of this out when I worked there part time back in 2000. Things might have changed since then.

Rick

4. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

After doing some research, I have found that the Wall-Mart's Super Tech line of products is manufactured by Sopus Products, which is a division of the Shell Oil Company, who's other products includes Pennzoil-Quaker State.

5. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Not too sure, but as an experiment I bought a quart of their dexIII and a quart of valvoline and the cold pour difference between them was quite noticable. The Wal-mart brand was MUCH thicker at 20 degrees than the valvoline. Maybe try that with the synthetic also? I have always been a stickler for mobile one.

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

"Tech 2000" is the generic brand of oil Walmart puts on the shelves here. Its supplied by Safety Kleen and is apparently made from recycled oil. (Dunno how that figures onthe full synthetic :crazy: )

I use the 15W40 (not synthetic) in my 6.2L and PSD.

They only have Fram and Honeywell filters though.

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Thats weird becuase Tech 2000 here is Quacker state as 1ton noted. I also worked walwarts auto dept as a part time job in 98-99 and the tech 2000 was quacker state back then anyway.

As for the oil filters I can tell you this, I was having an interferrence issue with my headers and oil filter on my suburban. After burning through a wix filter I had about 500 miles left on the oil change so I just grabbed a tech 2000 oil filter. It burned through the side of that in about 200miles. It was like a pepsi can where as the wix was like a tomatoo soup can.

Not sure how it matters but it is the only facts I have on the filters.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Interesting thread...
    http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000067;p=0

The highlights...

I suppose Walmart can fill its bottles with any oil they want.

...and a response from a Petro-Canada rep when asked if they supply the oil:
    I also found in my searching that Safety-Kleen's re-refined oil is marketed under "America's Choice" in the US.

Still no idea on the SuperTech. Maybe the supplier name appears on the store-shelf price tag. (It actually says "Safety-Kleen" next to the price tag of all the Tech2000 products.)

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Why would you want cheap/no-name/generic motor oil? Is $5+-/qt for a quality, well known, brand name synthetic oil really a big deal? Is it really gonna break the bank to spend $10 on a good filter instead $4 on a piece of $h!t? Geez, you only change your oil every 3k miles...Some people carry the penny pinching to rediculous extremes. No cutting corners on things like lubricants, fluids, steering/brake/suspension systems etc. Regardless the cost.:eek1:

11. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Check this out: http://msds.walmartstores.com/cache/24014_1.pdf

Why spend $5.00 for oil when the SAME can be had for $2.00 just in a off brand package? What I found out is that Wal-Mart fully synthetic oil is made by PENNZOIL QUAKER STATE. I'm sure that there normal Pennsoil/Quaker State fully synthetic motor oil and the Wal-Mart Super Tech is the same.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Nice find :)

Now any future oil discussion will have to denote which sub-brand of the generic label we are using.:thinking:

Hmmm... both are approved for my engine. And I pay $1.50qt. That's why I buy generic.

13. warreclipsegst

warreclipsegst Registered Member

You are correct. most generic brand oil's and everything else for that matter are manufactured by name brand companies and packaged under a different label. BUT with oil they leave out some of the good ingrediants. Usually it is alot of the detergents and some of the addatives that help keep the oil from breaking down that the name brand uses in their oil that they leave out of the generic oils. I personally don't mind spending the little bit of extra $ and getting quality. I run nothing but mobil 1 and can vouch for it being worth every penny. I have tore down engines with 100,000 miles on them that were ran with only mobil 1 and they are spotless inside. the same cannot be said for other oil brand oils and definately not for generic oils..

14. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As had been said, a lot of things sold are name brand stuff just repackaged. Have you ever bought anything with the Summit Racing brand on it?

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yes, I bought a Summit brand body lift that showed up in a Performance Accesories box (not repackaged). I have also drank generic "Cola" that tasted nothing like Coca-Cola. I worked as an electrician in a food plant once that made generic food. We also made Kraft Mac-n-Cheese. The Kraft was made using a completely different cheese... even though it came right off the same line as the generic stuff. Just because something is made at a brand name plant and packaged as a generic, doesn't mean it's an identical product, because often it isn't. I don't care where Wal-Mart oil comes from, it's still made to their "cheap" standards.

16. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Right, but sometimes the difference is miniscule or non-existant. I run SuperTech gear oil and that's about it for oil. I figure cheap clean oil is better than expensive dirty oil. Champion Labs, last I knew, still made K&N, Mobil 1, and SuperTech oil filters among others... while the SuperTech filters are cheap and have little in common with the other two brands, they are tons better than the AC Delcos and Frams I tore apart a year ago to peak into.

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Since I only really have to change oil every 3 months, I tend to go nuts and get the good stuff. Why skimp when the price is spread out that far? Mobil 1 and AC Delco goes on the 99 Jimmy and Catrol GTX with a Purolator goes on the Burb.

My personal experience? Generic is NOT always the same...most of the time it isn't. Grab a 5qt. bottle of oil and a single quart....when I did that with some Texaco oil, the 5qt bottle smelled different than the single quart. Seemed more pungent...i.e. possibly cheaper/recycled oil.

18. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I rebuilt the motor in my old K5. I could tell immediately that the PO had used cheap, parafin-wax based oil. After only 100k miles, there was sludge covering most of the drain holes. The lifter valley alone took me three hours to clean :(

No cheap oil for me.

19. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I worked at a place in SLC once that manufactured oil filters. We'ld do thousands and they would paint and label them for whatever brand was ordering them. I wouldn't worry about brand too much...

20. 91BurbDude

91BurbDude Registered Member

One of the guys I work with is from Louisiana and his friend took him to the oil refinery where he worked. His buddy showed him the assembly line where they filled the quart containers. Guess what? They had all different brand containers one batch after another on the same assembly line. It was the same oil in all of them. Apparently the only way oil would be different is if the particular company had its own oil refinery, otherwise they get it from the same place. Oil refineries make different weights and thats it. They don't make pennzoil in one place, valvoline over here, havoline over there, etc, etc.The only difference is the weight.