Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Walking big block encyclopedia needed...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Feb 11, 2007.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Anybody got a list of the sizes of bolts needed to mount up accessory brackets? I know the water pump bolts and other block mounts are 3/8" but how long should they be? I've searched high and low but nobody seems to have a kit or reference. Napa, Autozone, Advance, all useless.

Would the stealership have this info? Or am I going to have to order a whole mess of bolts and trial and error it?
    Any vendors selling kits? (might be a good idea once I compile the info...)

Thanks

2. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i dont want to rip mine apart so ill gibe you a few options

1. junk yard, i still se plenty of big blocks in yards, spend 45 minutes get all your bolts and maybe a few spare parts while your there

2. summit, paw or jegs might have an arp kit? this is more momey but less effort:D

3. SkysTheLimit

Hmm.. being a newer setup I might have some luck with a yard. Most of the yards around here don't have any older chevys.

Tried ARP, no love there. Was hoping someone had the measurements so I could just order what I need peice meal.

thanks for the reply.

4. lurtch-k20-(78-90)

lurtch-k20-(78-90) Registered Member

Measure the though hole on the waterpump, alt brkt, what ever,.... then measure the deepth of the matching threaded hole, add the two measures together. WALL-LA the length of the bolt needed. Just remember most bolt sizes are in 1/4" increments, so round to the lowest 1/4, make sure its not to long or the bolt will bottom out. IMO, do not get anything lesser then GRD 8.

EDIT: use antiseize to assemble everything

5. SkysTheLimit

I thought about that route but some of the brackets are really strange and have really long bolts that connect the peices and swivel and all kinds of weird crap. Probably end up going that route.

Anti-sieze is a must. I have aluminum heads. Not diggin the galvanic corrision thing. :D

Thanks

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dealers...

The parts counter guys at the dealership have the illustrated parts catalogs that list all the bolt sizes and lengths and thread pitch..but you might have to take that parts guy to a strip club or something ,to bribe him into looking all them up for you--especially if you buy them elsewhere!..:p: ..I suspect there might be some "special" bolts on certain things only a dealer or junkyard can provide..

Some bolts GM uses are "weird" sizes,like the exhaust manifold bolts..they are closer to 2-3/8" long than 2-1/4",(too short) or 2-1/2"(too long!) ...I never seem to be able to find the "right" ones anywhere other than a dealer or junkyard..or I have to use lots of washers on 2-1/2" bolts..:crazy: