Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Walls workwear vs Carhartt?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Nov 11, 2005.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have a Carhartt jacket (complete with big CK5 patch!) and I really like it. Last saturday though, while laying on asphaul with rain POURING down on me, I realized that a pair of matching overalls would be really handy. Carhart jackets are cool, but they tend to be kinda short... reach up with your arms and next thing you know your love handles/belly/back are laying on wet asphault. lol! Anyway, I was at Walmart and noticed that they carry Walls brand workwear. Looks like a Carhartt knock off to me... but they are cheaper and the insulated overalls seem plenty beefy. Anyone wear Walls? Opinions? Looking at something like this...

[​IMG]

Looks like they would work for me. They are under $50... not sure what the lined carhartts run... but thought it was $pendy...

j

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wear Walls coveralls for hunting. They are the most comfy set of camo coveralls I have ever worn, and they're very warm also. I would trust their quality. That's a better price than the Carhart's also.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

God I'm glad I don't live in the cold anymore.

Jackets are short, if you are not going to wear overalls you want a parka. Especially true with Carhartt and that elastic ribbing at the waist. Walls was a quality brand 15 years ago, but that's the last time I bought a pair. I have had better luck with Wall's zippers that Carhartt's. The way the clothing industry has changed I would check to see what they are making now is still quality.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I don't buy Carharts anymore. My experience is that they don't last any longer than the Walls and cost twice as much.

5. jekbrown

Guess that was what I wanted to know. :grin:

I have no probs with the length of my carhartt jacket... with a pair of overalls underneath the jacket will be perfect. :thumb:

j

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

How are they as far as keeping the water out???Look like they might get heavy after tromping through the wet brush after an hour or so...Othe than that they do look comfy...

7. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i work outside as a Land Surveyor, which means i get stuck working in everything short of a Tornado.

i have had Walls and Carhartt.
    Carhartt wins hands down.
    the zippers on Walls are garbage and the canvas isnt as thick.

my Walls bibs only lasted 2 months, my Carhartt bibs ive had for close to 10 years, the hooded jacket ive had for 11.
    the jacket has holes in the denim, but i have yet to get water thru the wool liner even working in the rain.

8. jekbrown

hmmm... we have dissenting opinions... :grin:

I pretty much just wear my carhartts for working on my truck and wheelin'. I do wear them around town sometimes, but I wouldn't call that hard-use. lol. Anyway, zippers on Walls suck eh? hmmm. Maybe I'll have to inspect them a little more closely next time I am at Wallyworld. How much do the carhartt overalls tend to cost? I usually get my carhartt stuff at Coastal Farm and Supply... they have pretty much every Carhartt thing you can get. Wallyworld just has one rack of Walls stuff.

anyone else?

j

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The pair I have were just made for warmth, and are a total different design that those pictured. They're not waterproof at all. Mine are a full coverage thing, with a big zipper from the crotch to the neck. Here's a pic of what I have. But as far as comfort, protection, and warmth go, they are top notch!

[​IMG]

10. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

I had used a Marks Work Warehouse knock off of carhartt insulated overalls, and they dont hold up to the job. I bought a pair of carhartt's and I will never look for anything else.

Stick to the one's you trust.

11. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

I just bought a new walls jacket, its tough as hell too. It was only 45 bucks or so, i thought it was pretty cheap. Due to the material they use is super tough stuff. I dunno about carhart.

12. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I have had the same carhart jacket for 10 years, you get what you pay for. Not only that, cardhart will repair the zippers for free. The zipper on my long jacket broke, all I had to do is take it to the retailer that I bought it from, they sent it in for repair, and I got Iit back 3 weeks later.

Cardharts sell full length winter coats, not only light jackets.

I will not buy anything else.

13. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

How much though? I hbought mine for 45 bucks :haha: Because im a cheapo :D

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

When I bought it it was $65.00 or the way I think, $6.50/year > less in the future. Pretty dang cheap.

15. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Hmmmm, i diddnt go the cardhart route because i thought they would be more expensive!!!! DAMN!!! :haha: :D Oh well :D

16. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

17. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Carhartt's in action: 400lb bear a buddy of mine got a couple days ago.

Picture 342.jpg

18. jekbrown

checked that web site... the lined (but not arctic or fire prood...) ones I want are like $80. Ouch! I'll try some Walls on next time I go to Wallworld... only $50-ish there and I don't have to pay for shipping. :thumb: If they don't feel tough enough, I guess I'll bite the bullet on the carhartts...

j

19. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

you dont have any Uniform stores around you?

i had gotten my Artic bibs for $72 there.

20. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

I made one purchase from then about 6 months ago and every now and then I'll get an email for 20% off or more. Covers the shipping and then some. I actually just ordered a pair of the steel toe work boots, as I understand they are made by rockport, I got 25% off. I usually buy timberland steel toe boots(6" and 8"), thought I'd try the carhartts this time.