Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Walmart lawsuit WFT?!?!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CaveBlazin, Jun 22, 2004.

1. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ok this lawsuit with walmart is crazy, hey I worked at Wallys part time in 2001 and there were some women getting better pay than me I think I should fire up a lawsuit!! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif Just in case you all dont know here is the link about the lawsuit. http://classactionlawsuit.org/walmart_lawsuit_wal-mart_lawyer.html
    Opinions??

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wallmart sucks. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

The bigger you get the more of a target you become. There is an unfortunate attitude among some Americans that believes that to be rich and powerful is bad and anyone or any business that becomes so must have done SOMETHING wrong in order to get to that place of wealth or prominence and they are glad to see them "pay".

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Pretty much every large corporation in America has lawsuits like that against them. The lawyers know where the money is, and they get paid big bucks on every case that they win... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif In many class action suits, each defendant in the class action ends with some minor "reward", like a hundred dollars each. Meanwhile, the lawyers go home with MILLIONS of dollars in their pockets.

5. HarryH3

Indeed, it's sad that in a country that was built on the very concept of Capitalism, it has somehow become reprehensible to be wealthy. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif It seems that most of the folks that are too fawkin' lazy to do what it takes to make it on their own have developed a hatred for those that aren't too lazy. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. CaveBlazin

Man, Im in the wrong business I need to start accusing people of shite!!

7. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Indeed, it's sad that in a country that was built on the very concept of Capitalism, it has somehow become reprehensible to be wealthy. It seems that most of the folks that are too fawkin' lazy to do what it takes to make it on their own have developed a hatred for those that aren't too lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree.......instead of figuring out how I can change to be more "successful" (wealth, power) we resent those that are and decide they must be doing something bad. It takes the burden off to succeed and becomes everyone elses fault if we dont. I dont get upset with the lawyers as some do, its their jobs to be this way.....I get sad to see Judges even hearing the cases and JURIES (you and I) agreeing with this nonsense and rewarding the lawyers with successful cases. The lawyers wouldnt touch these cases if they thought they didnt have a chance in winning them. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

one thing that is amazing when you think about it is this, alright those 6 women that are at th ehead of the big lawsuit, they want to practices to stop and they want damages for lost wages and blah blah blah. Well they were working at walmart. If they got that raise it means they were making 15k a year vs 14.5k a year. But if they get their lost wages damages I bet it totals into the millions /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    WFT?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF?!?! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. CaveBlazin

Hmmm how do you go from 5k to 5kkkk /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

11. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wallmart sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

12. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

There are reasons why the awards are so high. Often times class participants do recieve a small award, b/c that is the nature of a class action. Many people combine many claims into one. The one result is often not enough to compensate the many. Lawyers like them, plaintiffs should not. While the 6 ladies may only have small damages, their claim is a federal claim under Title VII. Federal claims, like Title VII, award the attorneys their fees for bringing the case, regardless of the size of actual damages. The fees are more or less a reward for a lawyer bringing a case that otherwise would not be brought because the damages are low. Its an incentive to lawyers to take on federal cases that otherwise would go un prosecuted. Its pretty easy to blame the lawyers here, but, keep in mind if you ever have a federal discrimination or wage issue your lawyer would not take it without a fees provision. Ridiculous awards are the drawback, the upside is that small time individual employees can find representation due to the fees, otherwise they would not take your case. I hope at least a little of this makes sense.

13. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Wow, who's side to take here? I don't like walmart (refuse to shop there), I don't like lawyers that seek money in ridiculous lawsuits, and I don't like class action lawsuits. My biggest gripe about class action lawsuits is that you are considered to be "in" unless you notify them in writing that you wish not to participate. Great, what if it is a lawsuit against a product I purchased 5 years ago and I moved 2 years ago, and never get my "optional out" letter from them because they don't know that I moved. Then I am automatically "in" and don't even know it! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif So, the lawsuit is won and they send out my check that I never get and of course it never gets cashed, where does that money go? Lawyers? I hope not, they make millions using my name, send me a check for a small amount of money and then keep it too? People should get wise and request that this type of law be changed. It allows lawyers to sue large companies and make millions while the people really get nothing. The business that lost the lawsuit will increase the price of what they sell which costs us more money. But what do the lawyers who started the lawsuit care about higher prices, they're RICH!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Plenty of women working at every walmart I've ever been in. In fact, way more than men.

I was in a walmart last wednesday night, and I can tell you first hand, they certainly don't discriminate by attitude, race, or nationality! I felt like I was in gangland or mexico, and every one had the blue vest on except me and my wife and kids... I felt like a total nerd looking at the fishing stuff.

I like walmart, but their biz practices are shady. They've been investigated by the dept of labor for circumventing overtime, and maybe a year ago had some big accounting ordeal where they were double charging debit card users. Crap, I gotta go look at my bank statements, I can't beleive I forgot about that for a year...

15. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

16. CaveBlazin

The walmart I worked part-time at got in trouble for hiring illegal immigrants and yes some were women. They don't dicriminate, PLEASE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

wal mart is the singled most sued entaty in the world the year befor last i hurd the were sue every 6 sec.

it only reason hte have cameras in the store is not so much to stop steeling but to watch for people setting up a law suit but butting something on the flore the comeing by and triping on.!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i generally dont give a crap what the euros do because they are a bunch of fork ups.... but IMO we need tort reform so that we have a loser-pays system like england has. Lot less stupid lawsuits that way.

People just shrug this [darn] off like its no big deal because the big corp can afford it... well, they pass those costs right on to the customers. When a company loses a STUPID lawsuit, we all pay the bill. Its like an extra layer of taxation on our economy.

Anyway, tort-reform is one of the most needed things in the country today... sure would be nice if the 'pubs would get it on the agenda...

j

19. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    and maybe a year ago had some big accounting ordeal where they were double charging debit card users.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That was more like a month or two ago. And it was the company that handles realtime credit card billing that did the double billing. They had a software screwup in their database (Hmm, sounds like they must be running Oracle stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ) for a few hours that was creating double billings. It was corrected as soon as it was discovered, but somehow the media turned that into some huge Walmart covert operation, as if most people wouldn't notice they got billed twice for the same amount on the same day. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

20. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    but IMO we need tort reform so that we have a loser-pays system like england has. Lot less stupid lawsuits that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't agree more! If people went into a lawsuit knowing that they would be forced to pay the defendants legal bills if they lose the case, then they would certainly think twice before proceeding. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The way our system currently works, lawyers know that in most cases involving large companies, there will usually be a quick settlement, rather than a trial. So there is no deterrent to file one frivilous lawsuit after another. In most parts of the world that kind of behaviour is called extortion...