Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

walmart tires

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Mar 5, 2003.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My 83 had Liberators on them. I dont know if i would be alive if it werent for them, my dad would have killed me for the tow bill so many times. I have stopped, in abuot a foot of thick almost like wet dirty sand....and then took off like nothing. Those things would climb anything i threw at them.

Which brings me to my q. Id get tem for my k5 but they dont come in the size id like. So then i saw the super sport....what do you think?

2. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Never tried them, but have heard some pretty good things about them, considering the price.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have the 35x12.5r15's on my truck right now.they are good on and off road and are not that loud on the highway.they lasted longer than my bfg a/t tires did and i still have not gotten one flat tire with them.the bfg i got a flat almost every time i went wheeling,no joke.they suck.i love the super sport tires,but they dont make the size tire i ned in 16.5 inch rim size

4. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

id say they would be a step up from my Kelly Safari MSRs /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[​IMG]

5. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

For the price not to bad. They look pretty aggressive as long as your ride isnt a hardcore trail only rig. I have run BFG and General tires and like both, but IMO the General is a better tire for the money as far as those two go. If these work good for you use them /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    Plus with the money you save in a set if there not quite enough for you you can get a tire groover and make them what you want /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I wonder if those Super Sports are made by Big O. They have the exact same tread pattern as the Big O Mud's. My friend used to run the Big's and loved them, so I don't see why the super sports would be much different.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

A few people in my club are running that tire. They were happy w/ the deal at first but as time goes on they seem less pleased.

8. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

ya my stock 87 has 31" liberators on em, new when i bought it a year ago, and for a/t's, they kick ass, ive pulled out a k5 with 40" tsl's, 35" brand new tsl's, pulled out my friends explorer from some VERY sticky situations with tracy (my k5) starting and pullin through mud holes, accidently smacked hard into curbs and scraped against em too, and have only been stuck once due to lack of tire aggression, and my friends now look to me and tracy first for their off-road stucks, and if i cant get the hookup with some 35" coopers im lookin at, will no doubt go with the super sport wal mart tire. and i heard from someone on here they do very well, throw dirt and mud everywhere, which means their doin somethin..

9. Suburbanite

Suburbanite Registered Member

[​IMG]

What about this one? It's the Dunlop Radial Mud Rover. $106.32 for the 255/85R16 at Sam's Club. About the same price as the 235/85R16 from Wal-Mart.

As for the Liberator ... I don't know. I bought them for a '95 K3500 CC LB & they developed 'cupping'. Previous tires, tho very worn, were smooth -- no cupping. Got an alignment shortly after they were installed & they're still cupping. 1st set of truck tires from Wal-Mart but I've bought passenger tires there & never had problems with them. So ...

10. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I have run the Mud Rovers before in a 35x12.50 and loved them for a truck that was driven on the highway alot. I would recommend them.

11. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

someone on here said the super sports were made by kelly tire /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I have a set of 12.50x33 wall mart Super Sports. This is my second year running them and I like them so far.
    The manager at wally world told me they were made by Kelly Springfeild/Goodyear(same company).
    I have had theese tires in the mud, in the sand at Sand Mountain Nv. and on a few moderate rock crawling runs with the local 4x4 club. They have held up pretty good considerind all the abuse they take. No cut sidewalls or flats so far (knock on wood)
    The only problem I have with then is they seem wear when used on the road a lot. Plolly cuz the rubber compound is soft.But I guess the wear aint that bad. I have run them down the interstate at 80 mph on a few long trips and back and forth to work and they stil have over 1/2 the tread left after 2 winters. I dont run them in the heat of summer. But winter is when I put the most miles on my rig.
    They make a little noise at freeway speeds but its nothing turning up the stereo a little wont cure. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    They hook up good and clean themselvs in the mud and stick to rocks well and work good at low pressures.
    Not a bad tire for 115 bones /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif