Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wandering and Bump Steer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZJumper, Jan 27, 2007.

1. ZJumper

ZJumper Registered Member

Vehicle: 89 K5 4" lift, 33" tires

After I put the lift on, I noticed the bump steer--no biggie. Had it aligned (don't have the spec sheet) and put on a new steering damper as the old one was shot. I assumed a bit of the bump steer and wandering were just because of the new springs being stiffer and needing to break in. That was 4 months ago and it's still the same.

I've checked the tie rod ends/drag link ends and they all seem to be fine. I have also replaced the ball joints upper/lower on both sides as the originals were shot.

I know a lifted vehicle drives differently (this is my 6th lifted one) but this one is sucking the root...it requires constant steering input to keep it going straight down the road and it's getting annoying to say the least!:mad:

So, where do I start looking now? What can be done to lessen the wandering--another alignment? What can be done to lessen/rid the bump steer? TIA.

2. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

Did you dorrect drag link angle with a drop pittman or raised steering arm?

3. ZJumper

ZJumper Registered Member

Forgot to mention this in the first post. Yes, I installed a raised steering arm.

4. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

every truck is slightly a bit different. Is those tires more than that one stabilizer can handle? maybe 2 stabilizers is what you need or even coil over stabilizers? my buddy has coils over his and there is zero kick back... But you do lose some recentering feel.

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

More stabilzers are just a band-aid. Re-check everything to make sure that its tight.

6. RIPPEDK5

RIPPEDK5 Guest

Yes. Re-check everything.. Alot of time too much bump steer is do to improper steering angle (drag link angled to far down) the link should be almost parallel to the ground; maybe a slight downnward angle. Check to see if your drag link is still up to the task of turning the tires- it may be getting worn out, even if it doesnt seem it.. Good or bad a quality steering (properly installed) stabilizer never hurts.

7. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

Actually for proper steering geometry the draglink should be the same angle as your leaf spring pack. Most people say if the steering arm gives you bumpsteer, then try the drop pitman arm and stock steering arm. Sometimes corrects it.

I have bumpsteer on my 79. One thing I tried was taking off my sway bar. If you didn't correct the angle of the sway bar it is actually useless on your vehicle. I found on mine that it relieved my front suspension of some stress and actually helped my bumpsteer some, it rides better and flexes and whole lot better. Just be careful driving it the first time after doing so.

In the end I still have some bumpsteer but at least my wife can drive it now.