Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wandering Blazers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cornfed-90K5, Mar 14, 2000.

1. Cornfed-90K5

Cornfed-90K5 Registered Member

My blazer has developed over the last few months some pretty poor handling. Along with my poor handling the steering wheel seems to be moving further and further from center, right now it is about 10deg to the right to drive straight. I have been told that it is a combination of worn ball joint and worn tie rods that is causing this. If any of you have any ideas please let me know.

Cornfed-90K5
    1990 K5 Blazer
    1977 Jeep CJ5

2. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

The tie rod ends will cause steering wheel slop, well the ball joints will too but not as bad. do you find that you are constantly pulling to the left on the wheel to keep it going straight? this would be caused by either bad ball joints or it's out of allignment. do you have access to a hydraulic press? if so pull off your knuckles and do the ball joints yourself I havent done this job yet but from what I hear it's not as much of a nightmare as it seems, then change the tie rod ends and drive it to your local frame and axle shop for a good alignment.
    '77 K5

<font color=red>mudfanatic</font color=red>[​IMG]

3. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Mine drove folks crazy till we figured it out. You could be going along and all of a sudden it would just take off to the right.Almost killed me a few times, talk about driving by the seat of your pants...and it did cause me to leave a spot on the front seat. But we found that the right side front axle ujoint had seized in one direction. And every now and again it decided to go around and would throw the tires to the right. Need to check them now and again.....

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

4. SVBlazer

SVBlazer 1/2 ton status

mudfanatic hit it on the head. Have someone turn the steering wheel while you look a the tie rods. If their shot you'll see and feel the slop. I've had to replace my about every 18 months or so.

5. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I know what you went through Eagle. My K5 sat for a long time waiting for the motor replacement. While driving it home from the shop it was all over the road. I put up with this for a week before I was told that the u-joints can seize if not used. After putting it in 4 wheel and driving up and down my muddy road it unseized itself. I don't think that is cornfed's problem though. I would check ball joints and tie rods like mud & sv said.

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

Nice motor Blazer Bob.... I'll post a few of my new one when I get some extra time...is that a stock fan shroud ?

l8r,
    Riz