Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wandering???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Feb 17, 2005.

what would cause my k20 to wander on the highway?
    do i need a beefier steering stabilizer?
    any help would help!

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

yea you need like 4 shocks up front....

nah...... there are a few things that it could be. Ball joints, Tie rod or draglink ends. Toe could be off. i would start with that.. after that,, basically just choosing something in the system and check it out. could be play in the steering box, I guess the steering box itself could be loose against the frame,

what front axle are you running? Springs? Tires?

2. d44 /315 75 16 tires

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

does it happen all the time? or only on certain roads? or when braking.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

In my experience, worn front end parts are the biggest cause of wandering. You should also pay close attention to your steering box as well as the mounting points on the frame.

If I was a betting man I wouldput money on a combination of worn draglink ends, worn ball joints and worn tierod ends. FWIW, new ball joints and a draglink eliminated 99% of my last batch of wandering issues.......

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

This too can cause wandering...

In addition to what he said,check the spring bushings and the "eye" of the front leaf springs,they often spread open enough to let the bushing flop around(the frontmost one)---and a broken center bolt in the spring can do it too--sometimes a problem in the rear suspension is at fault,but the front end gets blamed--but most of the time it is worn tie rods,ball joints and steering box problems,or frame problems where the box bolts on....:crazy:

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

My two cents would be to play around with tire pressures (after at least inspecting everything else suggested).....and perhaps check for the "dreaded steering box frame cracks"....not easy to do without pulling the box off, but I've heard enough stories about guys who fought all kinds of steering issues, and THEN found the cracked frame. Once it was repaired (and braced with the aftermarket kit) the truck drove awesome!!!

7. stano

stano 1/2 ton status

I aligned the front of a K/10 with the same measurement on the front of the tire as the back on the tire. Which means there is no tow in, they were perfectly parallel. And you could not drive that truck straihgt at all.

87 K/5
    stano

8. JonV

JonV Registered Member

Don't forget to check for loose or worn wheel bearings.

9. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Like already stated, I'd start with tie rod ends...do the 2 man check, have someone sittin in the cab turnin the wheel back and forth as you inspect everythin, you'll be able to see if tie rods are worn. Also check ball joints. Bearings could also be loose, check them out.