Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wandering.....

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Max, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Max

Max 1/2 ton status

Howdy again all,
    After driving the 71 around a bit, i've noticed it seems to wander around the road a bit. Its bearable if i pay close attention but would be nice if it went straight a bit easier :) It isa 71 with a 4 inch spring up front and a flip in the back, 3 inch body lift, 350, th350, 205 set up with 35 inch BFG muds. Which steering components should be I be checking and what suggestions do you have to try to fix this??? Thanks tons.

PS; Just had allignment done and it still is a bit of a wanderer, was hoping the toe in was just off, but no such luck.

2. MIKE_MN

MIKE_MN Registered Member

lets make a list i have the same problem. It almost put me my 72 and a twenty foot camper into a ditch.
    what i have heard
    rag joint
    upper and lower ball joints
    tie rod ends
    loose steering box bolts
    steering arms
    steering box play
    bearings in hubs
    spring bushing
    broken springs
    does any one have others please add.
    thanks mike

MIKE FROM MINNESOTA 72 CHEVY BLAZER

3. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

my '72 wandered bad and I finally got it fixed here is what I did. first thing was replacing the rag joint. with a body lift on the rag joint is insufficient for the angle. (my body lift is 3") you can have the jag joint replaced with a u-joint that will work much better. the next thing I did was replace the wheel bearings. you can check these by jacking the front end up and trying to shake the tires. if they have play in them, its either the bearings or the ball joints or both. this is the most common problem with wandering, when I replaced the bearings and left side ball joint it eliminated almost all of the wandering. after this there was still a little bit of wandering so I replaced the entire drag link as well. I talked to a couple of guys at extreme 4x4 (slc,ut part of the group that puts on the moab jeep safari) and they told me to make sure that the long end of the draglink was down, towards the rear. mine was backwards, and they said that it makes a difference. after doing all that mine drives great.

-Josh
    p.s. I also had a little slop in the steering wheel itself. I have a grant steering wheel and the five screws that hold the steering wheel on were loose. remember to check everything!

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH

4. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I might point out,
    you said that you have a 4" suspension lift with a 3" body lift.
    You didn't metion any compensation in the steering department for the 4" springs up front.

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest getting a new pitman arm for a 4" lift. Mine was pretty much just fine with a 4" raised pitman arm and 4" springs.

5. JST12

JST12 1/2 ton status

Great info. Josh, where did you get the u-joint for the steering shaft? I have a body lift too, so this sounds like a great idea. JT

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

The last thing I'd like to add is: Tire pressure. If you have new components everywhere and the steering geometry is set up correctly but the vehicle is still wandering (my '72 was a white-knuckle wandering ride when I got it, and it had all new ball joints, wheel bearings, tie rod ends, drag link ends, etc., and I had it aligned to my specifications), check the tire pressures. Mine were too high (I'm now running 26psi front/24psi rear and the tires wear very evenly).

7. JoshA

JoshA 1/2 ton status

I got the new steering shaft and u-joint made for me by advanced four wheel drive systems in utah ( (801)521-2334 ) they are very good at all sorts of 4x4 fabrications. they are very helpful over the phone as well, and I'm sure that they would tell you how to have your own made or make one for you. if you are interested I'm sure that I can send you a pic.

'72 blazer 9" lift YOKO mudders 35x12.50 350/sm465/3.73 UTAH