Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanna build a air compressor..educate me on compressors

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by twoslo4five0, Apr 22, 2007.

1. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i got a 4 hp 12 gallon compressor..not enough a$$ behind it..if i buy a big tank will that help or do i need to just buy a whole new compressor???educate me on compressors..

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Is it one of those oiless 110v compressors? what is the CFM on it and at what PSI?

Adding another tank to the current 12g would help, it wouldn't give you any higher psi, but what it would do is give you a longer blast of air at full psi with a slower psi fade.

It's like 12v electric, if you have a huge stereo or a big winch, you could add a second battery to help maintain 12v longer and have more electrical "storage". Your altenator still won't keep up with those big amplifiers or steady winching, but the extra storage that 2nd battery provides a bigger buffer so you can winch a little while longer. But, keep winching long enough and you'll eventually have two dead batteries instead of one.

If the compressor is of decent size, another tank added in should do the trick if you are using an air tool for a short period of time that requires a lot of air. But, if you're using something continually and the compressor can't keep up, eventually you'll have two drained air tanks.

3. twoslo4five0

ok took me a while to reply to this...my compressor is a 4hp 12 gal with 5.9 cfm at 90 psi...its enough to power an impact...i just run out of air fast...also were could i buy a larger tank???it can be used junk i dont care just as long as it holds air..

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Problem with adding a bigger tanks is when you do get low enough on psi to kick the pump on, it will run for a long time as it now has much more volume to fill. It is possible to burn up the pump or motor.

Personally I will be adding a second pump to my setup. Not possible for every one out there but usually doable.

5. twoslo4five0

i have a old (hasnt been used in about 20 years)fuel tank for the bed of a truck...you know one of the ones with the handle on top to pump out the fuel...would that work as a tank...im not really to concerned about burning the compressor up cause that will gimme a reason to buy a new one...ive got myself thinking now...

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You would need a steel tank, not sheetmetal. Propane tanks could work.

If you are really having problems with not enough air consistantly, than I would just buy a new compressor.

7. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

No way do you want to use any tank not rated as a pressure vessel! Any pressure tank needs to be burst rated at least to two times the maximum working pressure. You say your compressor is SCFM rated at 90 PSI, then you will need a tank rated for at least 180 PSI. A pressure vessel can be a bomb and the scrappnel is just as deadly!

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

NO WAY think about it, fuel tanks arent designed to take pressure like that.. .

9. twoslo4five0

i never did it look at how old the thread is...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2007
  10. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Sorry I dont look at every date in a thread, it was at the top of the forum....

Glad you didnt do it, dont want anybody getting hurt