Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wanna lock a 14 bolt.. weld or detroit?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BillyBob, May 25, 2002.

1. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

I wanna lock my 14 FF before I throw it in my truck. Which is better? welding or using a detroit? I'm worried mainly about it breaking if I weld them together, cuz I don't think spiders are supposed to be in one huge peice. Not to mention the truck is gonna be my DD, so I would imagine a detroit would be better since it does give a little if you aren't pressing the gas. Any input?

2. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

3. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Anyone ever try to weld up a grenade-lock in a 14 bolt?

4. abusedtrucks

abusedtrucks Registered Member

Nope... never welded up a diff yet. I'm going to though, when I get my 14ff

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm seriously consittering an ARB air locker. I like how it's a standard rear end till you hit a switch on the dash.

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

This has been talked about in other threads but yes, I completely disassembled my gov-locker and welded the crap out of it. I enjoy the predictability and reliability (and width) of the welded rear, van 14BFF in my ride.

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Unless you know something I don't, the only locking device for a 14BFF is a detroit locker. I have just researched it through a 2002 catalog.

8. the detroit if you got the money, but im sure a welded 14 bolt can take some abuse. but watch ou tread dissapear. if you are willing to get a locker, then why not go in betweena nd get a spool? they are cheap and stonger than both.

9. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I'm just curious because I have one with a Gov-Loc in it and I'd rather weld it together before it becomes a Grenade-Lock. One of the local guys told me it's impossible to do it but I'd rather trust you guys. Besides, how much trust can you put in guys that balance their tires by cutting off lugs?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A spool will eat the tires just like welded will, and I'm pretty sure a spool for a 14 bolt is not availble yet. If it is...post a link please.

Rene

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I also don't think there is a spool for the C14FF, and there is definitely no ARB. You can't weld a gov lock in a C14FF but, they are very strong and are not known to blow like the gov-locks in smaller axles. This is hear-say but seems reliable. I have the Detroit which is super easy and cheap for the C14FF. However, if mine had not come with the Detroit, I would have welded it without a second thought. Problems associated with welding the diffs of smaller axles do not (in general) apply to the C14FF...

12. Jed

Jed Registered Member

This is off topic but there is a selectable locker coming out for the C14FF - the Eaton "elocker". Same idea as an ARB except they're electrically actuated instead of by air and Eaton's supposedly going to make one for the C14FF (and 10b, 12b, 14bSF and then others).

Eaton has a history of OEMing stuff for GM so I guess that's why they're bringing the elocker out for GM axles first, to be followed later by ones for Dana and Ford axles. The elocker will be in the new Hummer H2 in an AAM axle.

Here's the pinch tho - apparently the elocker won't be available until sometime in the 3 quarter of this year and who know's what the price will be. The price will probably be competitive with the ARB and Oxtrax type units (even though it looks like it's a lot cheaper to produce). Since your axle is already out of the truck you probably won't be able to wait for this puppy.

I think the April Petersen's had an article on it and you can surf Eaton's low-content traction site: http://www.traction.eaton.com.

No I don't work for Eaton! If the elockers get a good rep in their first few months I want put them in my C14FF and (ack) 10 bolt. Yeah, yeah, I should put in D60 first.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I know I saw a 14BFF spool in a mag add...it was a mini-spool and was a bit more then $200. I wish I could remember who it was...

I welded mine and the only thing I don't like about it is the increase in turning radius. I now have to plan ahead for tight turns and it is sometimes a 3-point turn to get into a parking spot. My truck is not a DD so it doesen't bug me much. If mine was a DD I would put in a Detroit.

14. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Why can you not weld up a gov-loc 14 bolt. Cause mine has been that way almost a year. I took it apart through away all the little counterweights and junk and welded the piss out of it. I run 38's hard and have not had any problems

15. thebigdaddyof2

Butch, I agree with you. Why can't you weld up a 14BFF gov locker? Mine seems to work just fine. I guess nobody saw my other post. I enjoy hearing "You can't do that" from some others....

16. thebigdaddyof2

You know, I saw the ad for the 14BFF mini spool too....just don't remember who was advertising it. I know it was not in Peterson's or 4Wheeler....

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

mini and spool are 2 different beasts
    welded is as good as a mini, perhaps better IMO

18. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Ok, I guess I stand corrected. I should have said that I don't see it as an option, but then, I've never been inside a gov-locked C14FF. Like I said, that info was "hear say". My understanding is that they have a 3 cross shaft design rather than 4. Still stronger than smaller axles but, not as strong as the open C14FF with 4. Also, you have to weld it with the case open, there is no access port like most other carriers have so that you could weld it in place. I can easily understand how it would be done to an open case as Rene and Laura have shown. Just fill the some of the voids on the spiders, slide them into place, button it up, and done. I do not understand how a gov-lock could be welded with the case open so that it could be closed up and hold up under hard use, but that's probably (obviously) an artifact of my lack of knowledge on the gov-locked C14FF. If you are both running welded gov-lock cases, obviously I was wrong and I apologize for representing incorrect info. Sometimes it's all to easy to jump from "I don't know how it could be done" to "it can't be done"...

19. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I don't remember which mag the ad for the mini spool was in, but the company is Drivetrain Direct. I'd personally rather run a full spool, but I don't think one is available yet for the 14FF.

Will

20. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Why do you think welding would be better then mini-spool?...asside from the obvious $$$.

I did the welded them up because I am cheep, they didn't make the spools yet, and I didn't want the slop in there with my t-case mounted e-brake.