Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanr classic bumper on a diesel??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Sep 8, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

warn's site says that a hood scoop is required to put the classic bumper on a diesel. my buddy has an 84 1/2 ton 4x4 with a 6.2 in it and he's thinking about that bumper, could some one clear this up for me. why does it say you need a hood scoop? and do you really need one? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Could be for the intercooler.

3. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Im not real sure just how big this Warn bumper is, but i cant imagine it being so big that it will interfere with the air intake. Anyhow... have your buddy go to the GM dealer and buy the air intake fitting for an '83 or older truck with 6.2 also he will need the hose that will connect it from this new core support fitting to the intake muffler on the air cleaner intake. In 1984 GM changed this fitting so that the trucks no longer took air in straight from the grille. In cold weather climates that got show, these trucks would actually pack themselves full of snow /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So the fix was a relocated intake and different core support fitting. It now took air in from down low just above the bumper. Have him throw in a K&N Filter if he doesnt already have one, he will FEEL the difference for sure.
    .... and it doesnt have an intercooler..... hell it doesnt even have a turbo /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Starting somewhere around 1988 or so, GM pickups with the diesel have a different front bumper that has two large rectanglar holes in it. This is to get extra air into the radiator and/or intercoooler. Warn's site might have a general warning about this that may not really apply to an 84. The holes in the front bumper are an easy way to tell from a distance if a GM truck has a diesel under the hood. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

if it is a probem, they sell or used to sell and optional air scoop that installed to the bottom side of the bumper to direct air behind the bumper.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, I think that's the "hood scoop" that muddysub is referring to. But I don't recall the 84 trucks having any of the extra air openings up front like the later body styles have, so it might not be needed on the 84.

7. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Starting somewhere around 1988 or so, GM pickups with the diesel have a different front bumper that has two large rectanglar holes in it. This is to get extra air into the radiator and/or intercoooler. Warn's site might have a general warning about this that may not really apply to an 84.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought so too, i'll tell him to go ahead with it. it was 88 when the tucks changed, and started doing that.