Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanr manual hubs instalation?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85burbanator, Mar 20, 2003.

1. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

hey i just got my warn premium manual locking hubs in the other day and was wondering if any body here could give me some directions on how to install them. ive read it doesnt take very long but i was wondering if you had to remove the tire and rim and if the brakes had to come off as well. i looked in the technical section and there was nothin there. thanx in advance

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There should be directions with them, but no you dont have to take anything off except for the old hub....

It is pretty simple:

1. remove outer bolts on old hub.
    2. slide out old hub outer housing/turn dial.
    3. remove large-thin snapring from the inner lip of the wheel hub.
    4. remove small snap ring from end of axle shaft(some people leave these off)
    5. slide out internal lockout hub mechanism.
    6. install new hubs by reversing steps 1-5!

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Just another note to add to the directions. The large snap ring he talks about is hard to see, and runs along the oustide of the inner hub part. It is a PITA to get out some times. You will need small screwdrivers or something like that to get it out. Also if you are replacing auto hubs there is another snap ring behind the inner hub body that you must remove. It is a snapring that is just like the one on the axle shaft infront of the inner hub body.

4. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Hossbaby50 is right about the snap right its a pain go get a pick set they will have a few differnt bends in them just find the one you like its ALOT easer then a skrew driver.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ya, my actual tools of choice for them is either 2 eyeglass screwdrivers (flatblade) or the awl and a small craftsman screwdriver. The eyeglass screwdrivers are much easier, but I have done it both ways.

Best way I have found to do it beside eyeglass screwdrivers is, take and awl ans a normal flatblade screwdriver. Find the gap in the ring. Hold one edge of the ring with the flatblade, and then dig under the other end with the awl. Once you get the awl underneith and semi secure don't move it. Either try and get the flatblade underneith where the awl is and then grab the ring with a set of needlenose plyers, or forget the flatblade all together. Sometimes though I have had the ring slip of the awl.

awl= a screwdriver that is just pointed. No blade, just point. kinda like an ice pick.

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Awl pick same thing I just like the ones that arnt straight they seem easer to use

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I used a couple of "Spring Hooks". A Spring Hook is a tool used by copier technicians. Works great for getting that large skinny snap ring out. A spring hook looks a lot like a dental tool. It's normally used to install and remove small springs. You can get them at an electronics supply store.

8. 85burbanator

it didnt come with directions being that i bought them used. but they havent been engaged in 4 wheel drive and they incredibly new. i have to grease them up but dont know what type of grease to use or were to put iit. im going to try to get ahold of they guy i bought them off of and see if he still has the directions lying around.

9. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Ask the guy you got them from to help you He probably will because it really only takes about 3-5min per hub if that.

10. 85burbanator

i talked to him and every thing and am prolly going to do it tuesday weather permiting. its been kinda wet around here the past coulpe days