Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want a turbo !!!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 83K5, May 17, 2002.

1. 83K5

83K5 Registered Member

I am looking at buying a turbo for my 6.2 . What kind of a cost am I looking at and who makes the best one ??Thanks

2. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

Currently, if you're going to buy new, you only have one choice: Banks. They're the only company still making a turbo kit for the early 6.2L powered trucks.

If you're looking at used, then you have a choice between Banks and ATS. Both systems are good, but the Banks Sidewinder is probably the easiest to install, repair, and get parts for.

A new Banks system starts at around $1800. I have seen them as cheap as $1500, but not for a while. Used systems on ebay typically sell for around $500 to $800.

You can also try and make a factory GM 6.5L turbo work, but it's hard to do, especially if you have A/C. The 6.5L trucks have a different engine compartment, and there's hardly enough room in the older trucks to make it fit. If you have A/C, the turbo will rub the evaporator box. Without A/C, it's not a big problem.

The 6.5L system is a better performing system, because it is waste-gated. You can control boost much easier, and it gives you better off the line performance.

You can't just order a complete 6.5L system from anybody, though. It's not offered in kit form. You'll either have to order all the parts from GM, or find someone that has a whole system they want to sell. I've seen them on ebay once in a while, but not often.

I'm currently putting together a turbo system for my '81. I purchased a used Rotomaster turbocharger off of a Ford truck, bought a Banks turbo manifold, made an adapter to bolt the turbo to the manifold, and am getting all the other pieces together. When it's all said and done, I'll still have about $500 in this whole job.

Casey

3. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave 1/2 ton status

I am going with the factory 6.5 turbo in my M1009. The whole system can be found on e-bay at times. Having rode in a 6.2 with a Banks and another with a 6.5 system I dont really ever see owning a Banks.

4. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Yea, I see your point, but I'll probably end up with the Banks because it's the most complete. I'd like to do the 6.5 thing, but I don't want to have to piece it together. Plus, I prefer the Banks front exhaust crossover route as opposed to the 6.5 rear exhaust crossover route. There there's the oil return issue...I don't want the hassle of converting to electric lift pump. Will the 6.5 turbo units bolt to the Banks manifolds?

5. kickinasphalt383

kickinasphalt383 1/2 ton status

you have to convert the lift pump if you put a 6.5 turbo setup on a 6.2?

6. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

Not necessarily. The Banks kit uses a tube for the oil turbo oil return that returns the oil where the fuel pump attaches to the block. It's been said by many that just converting to an electric pump is easier because you then have no conflict with the machanical pump and possible interfering parts. I'm a bit shady on the whole deal since I've never installed or SEEN a Banks kit, so I can't really say for sure. I DO know then I'd rather not mess with my mechanical pump for fear of messing something up. It's old.......... But at the same time, the biggest reason I mentioned that is I'm not a fan on piecing together a turbo kit.