Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want another Blazer... Need advice pls...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AudieMurphy, Jun 24, 2005.

1. AudieMurphy

AudieMurphy Registered Member

Hello all!
    Im new to the forum so please go easy, its my first time. :D

I currently have a 1989 full size Bronco, 351W/C6/BW1356. Nice truck, and I just might keep it, if it wasnt for the TTB (Twin Traction Beam).

When I was shopping for a full size rig about 2 years ago, I didnt do proper research and got the above truck. Had I *known* it had TTB, and known exactly what TTB was, and the inherent problems with it, I would have keep going. I initially was looking for another Blazer when I found the Bko but couldnt find anything in decent shape, or affordable.

Ive grown tired of the steering problems, you guys have no idea how horiable this thing did in 2" of snow this past winter! I know it needs a lot of work on the front like ball joints and such, but none of the parts are wore out enough to replace. And if I put the money into it, its STILL A TTB!

I have a D44 solid to put under the front... But.... I have come to the conclusion that I dont have the time, money or energy to gut the TTB and hang the axle. I would just assume get a Blazer with leafs and do an inexpensive and easy mild (4") lift, and another benefit, Id be back in a CHEVY again!! :cool1:

So, heres where I am needing help...

I am in the research phase, will be a few months ($$$) before I can get a Blazer, but I dont want to make the mistake I did before, and buy without research.

From what I am reading, until I think 2000 or so, all the Blazers had a solid front axle hung by leafs... Correct?

I already know I want a 350, TBI is fine by me. I know that most of them came with 3.08 so regearing is going to need to be done (4.11 for 33" meats). Ill want a 700R4 for OD, cause I know a 3 spd is going to KILL my highway MPG (I know, I have C6 right now).

What I *dont* know is... Are there any specific things, or years, I should be aware of, that have serious short comings?

I *do not* want any kind of electronic transfer case
    I *do not* want any kind of IFS
    I *do not* want any kind of CAD or axle engagment for 4X4 (S-10 Blazer style)
    I would like to steer clear of 4L60E or similar ELECTRONIC transmission, if possible.

I would also like to have, but may be reaching too far, electric locks and windows... What package would have this option?

I am looking for late 80's models....nothing before 1985.

If you read this far, THANK YOU! Not everyone wants to read a book, but I wanted to get as much information on the page as I could to get the most accurate help I can get.

Thank you kindly,
    Andrew

2. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

66-72 first gens

73-75 2nd gen with a full removable roof. Round headlights.

76-79 2nd gen with rear removable rear roof. Round headlights.

80 2nd gen with rear removable rear roof. Large square headlights

81-87 2nd gen with rear removable rear roof. Dual over and under headlights

88-91 Last of the 2nd gens. TBI, and still has the removable rear roof. Dual side by side headlights.

All of these have SFA.

3. AudieMurphy

Thanx kindly for your reply. Sounds like Ill be hunting for an 88-91. I just found (on-line classifieds from our newspaper) a '91 for $3,500. Problem is, I dont have the smack, and the Bko aint sold. :frown1:

Thanx again!
    Andrew

4. AudieMurphy

One more thing I didnt ask but just thought of...

Is there any major difference between a Chevy Blazer and a GMC Jimmy?
    Cause if I can find a Jimmy in good condition, Id hate to pass it up.

Thanx again,
    Andrew

5. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

The grill and badges are the only difference I know of.

6. AudieMurphy

I was pretty sure, but you know you gotta ask :o

7. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

throttle body injection started in 87!

8. google

google 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to kick the fenders. Not hard enough to dent them, but hard enough that the "there's no rust problem here" statement can be confirmed. I did that and knocked out a 3x6 section behind the rear tire. It was all rusted through with a little bondo and a lot of primer. That's about the only advice I can give that I accidently did myself. I'm sure you already know the rest. Just look for that bubbly flaking paint spot and smack it one...... :grin:

9. AudieMurphy

So, Ill be looking for 1987 - 1991

Anything else I may have left out?

Thanks,
    Andrew

10. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Even though the fenders and rear panels might not be rusted check the tail pan. One easy way to do this is to open the tail gate and make sure that the higes aren't held by pure luck. Especialy if the vehical was driven on gravel. I can't find hardley any blazers around here that don't have the tail pan rotted out.

Also if you are looking for one with power windows and locks you won't half to look to hard. Most of them have them.

And to whoever posted about the headlight positions. Those are just the common ones. There are some ones that crossed those years ie: 88 still had over under lights on some.