Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want high steer system for Ford D60 front conversion

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by ZonkRat, Jan 16, 2003.

1. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Have already done IFS to D60 swap and cannot get any local help qn high steer parts. would like to avoid trial and error method on steering. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif88 GM with 38 swampers.

2. bigd_176

bigd_176 Registered Member

there is a guy here in springfield mo that builds high steer for anything. his name is john lloyd (johns 4x4 and more) i'll have to get his # and i'll post it. he also builds the tie rods and drag links out of 1 1/4 inch solid steel with heims.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif suburban pics

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Thanks,but,I'm trying to do it cheaper right now.{Un}Selfemployed at this time and don't have much to spend.I have the use of a friends small machine shop and can do most things myself.If I couldn't my truck would have died a couple of times.Looking for parts to convert at present. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. bigd_176

what parts are you looking for? he does have the blank arms for like $25-30 you have to drill your holes for the tie rod and drag link. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Thats more in my price range for now.I've got my setup working ok for now and if a couple jobs work out like they should I want to use good stuff.I thought I wanted hiem joints,but,have heard they don't hold up as well on road as tierod type systems.I've gotten more info here in a week than the last year or so from shops around here and REALLY appreciat it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. bigd_176

I've been running heims on my 93 suburban for 9 month's and never had a problem. the only thing about using tie rods instead of heims. is you have to taper drill the high steer arms.

7. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Read on here they wear more cause they dont hold gease as well.I like to play in deep mud.Might this make a difference? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif