Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want me to rebuild axles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by thatK30guy, Feb 22, 2001.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Would anybody be interested in buying front and rearends if I were to rebuild them? Such rebuilds would include all new bearings, races, seals, u-joints, etc. I would also sandblast and paint hard parts before assembly. New tie rods, ball joints, gaskets, brake parts and hard ware, etc. What do you think? Would a total rebuilt front and rear for about $1500.00 be good and fair to any body interested? This would allow you to sit back and let me do the dirty work. Prices are for re-usable ring and pinions in good condition. These prices would run for both the front and rear. Lockout hubs would be included. Let me know.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It would be good. But I just got mine priced at $1150.00. With a locker. No new brakes thou. And shipping to CA would totally kill it.

Become one with nature...............Then marinate it..

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I guess it would depend what axles you have and that. Plus I know shipping on axles would be a ton. I think that would be good for anyone near ya. Would R & P be replaced? If that isn't replaced can't you just keep track of the shims and put it back together(well of course new crush sleeve). (never have understood diffs and MT's as good as I should of LOL). Also since you seem knowledgable on axles... you know if there is anyone that makes a 6lug axle or an adapter from 8 to 6 for a 14 FF? Don't think so... But would be nice if there was. Thanks

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

4. CaptCrunch

Depending on what you got... sounds like a deal!

5. thatK30guy

I have a few D44's, 10B's, and 14FF's. I take them completely apart. When I remove the ring gear and carrier, I lay the shims, bearings and races in order. I pressure wash all the hard parts and sandblast them. No blasting on the machined surfaces though. I do not replace the rings and pinions if there are no chips, cracks, broken teeth, etc. I will check the backlash, play, etc. New bearings, seals, gaskets, etc. follow with installation of new brakes. Rotors and drums are turned so they are true. This is also the time to install rear disc brakes if desired. New lockouts of your choice. Shipping costs are not too bad as I had a quote to ship to Pennsylvania was going to cost 175.00. Since I am in central USA here in Kansas, the shipping would be the same going to California as it would going to New York.

6. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I did not think that $175 to ship to me in Pa was bad either. Considering I don't have to crawl under a truck in a mudpit(most junkyards around here) and remove them. And the bad part around here is most of the junkyards around here wont let you take a torch in the yard to cut the u bolts.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

7. CaptCrunch

was that a pair of axles or just one for 175? Would be shorter for me in MN. Sounds like a heck of a deal because most places around here for a full rebuild would be that much for one axle. I may inquire about this if I can't find anything decent here.

8. 1Blazin71

1Blazin71 1/2 ton status

4XDoctor in Burbank, CA (818) 845-2194 has someone building 14 bolt FFs with 6 lug axles for them. Your choice of gearing from 3.73 - 4.88 for around $1500, if I recall correctly.

Matthew Meyer
    matthewm@inhollywood.com
    '71 K5 - 4" Lift 35"s
    ZZ4 350 - 700R

9. thatK30guy

I will rebuild anything you want. If I dont have it, I will find it.
    Yes, 175.00 for the shipping was for BOTH axles to Pennsylvania.
    That deal on the 4XDoctor sounds like just ONE axle for that price. Mine will be running that price for TWO, the front and rear. The gear ratios will depend on whats in the axles and whether or not they need to be replaced. Keep in mind, I am going to try to stock up on more 3/4 ton and 1 ton stuff. Most of these are going to have 4.10 gears. If someone needs a 3/4 ton with 3.73 gears, I have got those too. If someone wants lower gears, say 4.56 or 4.88 or 5.13, then they are going to have to pay extra for those new gear sets. Just a thought for anybody who doesnt want to get dirty and do the hard work. I take lots of pride in rebuilding axles since I like doing this stuff.

10. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

So you have a 14ff? what would you ask for the rebuilt 14ff and 8 lug 3/4 ton rebuilt front end? I might be interested. can you convert to 6 lug?

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

4 Wheel parts wholesalers in OK or TX is making 14FF with 6 lugs. I htink they are around $1500 and someone on this site has one...

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

12. thatK30guy

As of today, I have five 14FF's. All but one are 4.10. The other one is a 3.73. I could not convert the 14FF to a six lug since the bearing hub is big and protruding out of the wheels. I could convert the front D44 to six lug by taking hubs, rotors, and backing plates off a half ton. If you want just the 3/4 ton, I have them with ring and pinions in good condition. Depending on little things like if you want internal or external lockout hubs, do you want rear disc brake, etc. The list goes on. Just tell me what your basic wants and needs are. It costs about 500-600 to rebuild the front alone and this costs more than the rear. Reasons because of tie rod, ball joints, u-joints, etc. The parts add up. I can do the 8 lug rebuild for the stated $1500.00 but you would have to cover the shipping costs. This price includes the front and rearends.

13. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

OK, to get this straight, you will build a front and rear dana 44 and 14ff with 4.10 gears for $1500.00? If that is true that is a good price. - I will send you a private message to get a quote on the specific things i would want. i would be shooting for mid- april if i do this.

baja surf nazi -...A late storm NEVER comes...

[​IMG]

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Hay Wes, I appreciate what you are doing for me. I sent you a private and will try to call Sunday evening. How much would you charge to just do a locker install in the rear if I send one to you.

<font color=blue>Happy Trails</font color=blue> [​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>

15. thatK30guy

bigblue, remember, prices are for standard axles. If you are going to add a list of many parts, they would cost extra. Not included in the price are stuff like lockers, etc.
    wayne, if you want to buy the axles as-is, I can install whatever locker you have for about 30.00 more. If you want me to rebuild the rearend, then I would install it free.
    I forgot to mention another thing: those of you interested buyers, if you have an 83 or newer ride, I would be glad to locate and install the correct backing plates on the rearend for you. This would allow for the proper brake cables you need to work for your vehicles.
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by thatK30guy on 02/23/01 03:14 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

16. wfahlgren

wfahlgren 1/2 ton status

WHERE ARE YOU LOACATED?

17. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

loacted? :)

18. thatK30guy

Guys, I am in Ellsworth, Kansas, its right in the middle of the state and also in middle of the USA.

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

What truck lines are you using? $175 for about 1000 lbs is great.........I am working on having bigbad82K5 send me a Dana 60 from Cincinnati - best quote I found was $320.

Might be talking to you shortly about a 14FF with 4.10's to go with that Dana 60. Thanks.......

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

20. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I think the quote was from forward air.

<font color=blue>Happy Trails</font color=blue> [​IMG]
    <font color=blue>Wayne</font color=blue>