Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want suggestions on digital cameras....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thatK30guy, Nov 21, 2005.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

....to check out and purchase.

Keep in mind, that I want a good camera thats not way out of the league in prices.

No cheapo cameras from Wal-Mart, etc., like those Jam Cam I once had. I'm looking for damm good quality pictures that are clean, crisp and detailed.

Let the opinions roll................... :waytogo:

Don't forget to list prices along with the info you can supply.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Olympus Camedia series, even the older C2020/3030 et can be bought cheap and take superb photos.

I still have my old C2020 from 2000. Outstanding editing software too.

4. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Olympus Stylus series, i have a Stylus 300 3.2mp camera that i bought over a year ago and absolutely love it. I have used it in the rain, dropped it in the mud open and closed, and it has even taken a trip down a flight of stairs. The only times it takes blury pics are when i cant stabilize myself for the picture, or it has mud on the lense. I paid ~$235 for it last august, and bought a bigger memory card off ebay shortly after. While i do love it, it is a little large for carying in my pocket all day, so i think i will be buying a new Stylus 600 and just keep the 300 for my wheeling camera.

Here's a good site to compare models and read reviews: http://dpreview.com/

5. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I have an HP735 by hewlett packard. I like it a lot. Its user friendly. It has a decent zoom and is 3.2 MP. It also takes video w/ sound. Works well for me.

I like it because it takes AA batteries. Easy to go to a store really quick if my batteries die and get some. Batteries are cheaper too. I use the lithium ion ones. they work great and last a long time.

A camera that takes AA's is good selling point for me

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2&productNr=25219
    NOT cheap
    Nikon, SLR, and you can swap out lenses like a real camera. this is almost as close to a real camera as you will get, but you could go up just a bit more. save on film prices but have film quality prints. just need a GOOD printer to do such.
    Grant

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

kodak easy shares are vary easy and good for me sofar.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

That's what I use also. I have had mine for about 3 years and take it everywhere. Takes good pics (3.2) and is tough as a nail.

9. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you want a real camera and not something to throw in the glove box I'd recommend a Nikon D70. It is a digital SLR and uses the same lens as Nikon's Film SLRs, so you can use any of the wide angle or telophoto lenses you might need. Cannon' s use different lens for film & digital. It is a great camera for the money. If you looked at my Spain post those pics were taken with my wife's D70.

I bought the package deal with the body, a lens, and a 1GB memory card. I also bought one extra 1GB card & reader, and a long zoom lens. The package deal was about $900, but that was at the end of summer and I don't remember what I paid for the extras. I'm sure there will better deals this time of year. With those two cards we were able to take 1200 pictures and still had room for about 200 more. So about 700 pics per card on the mid setting. They did not distort until I put them on my wide screen TV. They are clear until at least a 19" TV.

Last few things. If you buy a package compare what you get. Not everyone's packages include Nikon lenses. There are also deals that have smaller memory cards. This thing makes great prints, if you want something to take pics you can hold, this would be a great choice. Pic taking advice; Because this is a real camera, if you are taking a pic of something where the shutter will be open for a long time, you must be perfectly still or it can become blurry. An example would be something bright at night, like fireworks. You can see what I'm talking about if you look at the night Cathedral pic in my Spain post.

If you just want something for taking pics to put on line the Olympus Camedia series are a good cameras. I've had two, actually I still have one. Its what I use when wheeling or if I just want something I can slip into my pocket. I like the way the lens retracts into the camera when you are done. I'm not sure if the latest models still do this. It has been fairly durable, but cannot take serious abuse. The first one broke when it got banged into a pole at Disney :rolleyes: The one I still have is starting to show its age as well. These are good bang for the buck, should be less than $200 and the price drops on the current model each time a new one comes out.

Links:
    Nikon D70 package

Spain post

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd go with something like this...

linky to newegg

under $250 and it has the features you'll want. Having had digital cameras for years now, the 3 most important features you can have are:

1) the ability to take multiple pics in short order. Old school digi cams required you to snap-and-wait-10-seconds. Really annoying, especially when taking pics of animals or kids... both tend to do things super cool right after you just took a pic. lol!

2) More important that how many megapixels you have is how nice/big the lens is. In my experience you want the biggest highest quality lens you can get. A 3mp camera with a great lens will shoot WAY better pics than one of those super tiny pocket cam lenses even if the small camera has a higher megapixel count. Once you get over 3MP, you have enough, more than that just makes it easier to crop the picture super small and still have a good looking image. The 5MP that the camera linked above has is PLENTY.

3) You want all the optical zoom you can get. There is a whole class of "super zoom" digital cameras out there (anything over 8x). 10x is niiice to have. I had a 2x camera for years and even stepping up to 4x is a huge improvement. When you are a long ways away from the subject, its nice to be able to use an optical zoom to get in nice and close.

j

11. bigjbear

Yep, zoom is important (& FUN)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They look better at 1MB each.

12. bigjbear

Another post just made me remember this. Did you get anything yet, or is a Christmas deal?

13. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Definitely get a SLR, you wont regret it. The options are limitless with those. Besides, the little digital cameras are outdated every six months.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

I am looking into getting the Canon Power shot pro. Not an slr digital but very close in quality, 8mp. 8x zoom one of the very top rated cameras out there right now without being an slr.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Weird!!!

That was my Christmas present my Wife just bought me!!!!!! :p:

Thank you Donald Smith for ordering at abesofmaine.com​
    You order has been received and is being processed, you will receive an email confirming your
    order as well, here is a summary of your order:​
    Billed to:​

Shipping Method:​
    UPS Ground
    Gift Wrap this order: ​
    No
    Charge to:

Donald Smith
    Item Name Qty. Unit Price Extended Price​
    Nikon D70S SLR Digital
    Camera Body (Lens not
    included)
    1 $874.99 $874.99
    Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6G
    ED-IF AF Zoom Lens- (USA
    WARRANTY) $40 Nikon
    Rebate
    1 $297.99 $297.99
    Nikon EN-EL3 Battery for
    Nikon D100D50 & D70S 1 $49.99 $49.99
    62mm Multi Coated UV Filter 1 $39.99 $39.99​
    Subtotal: ​
    $0.00

Shipping: ​
    $40.81

Total: ​
    $1,303.77

I have three Sony digitial cameras I really like, but I wanted a SLR like I used to use with 35 mm shots!

16. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

tell us the truth now wes,,, you want to take purdy pictures of yourself for that adult dating site:D :D :D