Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want Svc Bulletin/Tips Fuel Feed/Rtn Pipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GaBnn3, Jan 26, 2005.

1. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

This procedure is not in the manual for my 1988 Suburban. GM issued a Service Bulletin TSP #89316C in 11/88. Anyone have this available or can advise on procedure? Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you know exactly what it pertains to? I know fuel feed/return, but what was the alleged problem?

IMO if it wasn't a recall it's probably not that big of an issue, especially since dealing with the fuel system.

I thought there was somewhere online a long time ago that would let you browse all the TSB's and what not.?

3. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

Svc Bulletin

A web search I did indicated that bulletin is for the repair of the rear fuel feed/return pipes. They have just begun to leak on my 1988 Suburban and need to be replaced. If it was a recall, maybe I can get a dealer to repair it as part of the recall. I am not aware of on-line access to these bulletins. If you are aware of a web site, I'd appreciate the address. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You're hoping GM is going to fix your 17 year old truck over a recall that is as old? Just an FYI...nothing lasts forever.

Rene

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

GM issued a recall on cooling fans a couple years ago. I got the notice for both my 75 and my 79. Toytota still covers a HG problem on late 80's early 90;s head gaskets on the V6. Never know, GM may cover it.

Clear up this bulitin. I have a 88 Burb as well. Whats leaking where? Just hose or is there a problem with the pick up assembly?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I just searched that TSB and it pulled up nearly EVERY GM vehicle made in 88 that had Fuel injection. It sounds like its a bad connection/connector thats comon on a lot of different vehicles.

7. dyeager535

The setup didn't physically change (the hose arrangement) from 87-91, so if anything, perhaps its an o-ring issue.

If it was something like bad hoses that leak, then the part number for an '88 was probably superceded by a different one. I can look in my parts manual (up to '88) when I get home Sunday, if anyone cares. Just make sure to PM me or bring this BTT around that time.

Then just compare the '88 number to say a '90. Not going to be that easy of course, GM will go in and change numbers anyways.

If there was a TSB, then getting a new hose, if THAT was the problem, will solve it, since they won't sell ones they know are problematic after a TSB comes out.

8. GaBnn3

GaBnn3 Registered Member

Suburban RR Fuel Feed/Rtn Pipes

Thanks for the response. I located the part numbers and ordered the new pipes. Because the repair procedure is not in the manual, I wanted to get the TSB so I have a GM procedure to follow. I'm sure the replacement will largely be self-expalanatory. However, I wanted the written steps in front of me so I don't overlook some important detail. If anyone did this before, I'd appreciate any tips. Thanks.

9. dyeager535

You want to use tubing wrenches on both fittings, and you just unthread the fuel line from the sending unit and the fuel line itself.

If anything, you might want or need new o-rings, as at least the sender side o-ring is on it, and probably won't come with the new lines you ordered. All O-rings I've seen this old are all pitted and torn, and I'd never risk a fuel leak for a $1 piece.

Going to have to drop the tank, just a lot of disconnecting things. Don't forget the gauge/pump wire disconnect on the drivers side, and the ground.