Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

want to build a 4x4 post shop, need info, suggestions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by R72K5, Jun 30, 2005.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i plan to build a 12 x 24 or so shop out of treated 4x4 posts into the ground and set in buckets of concrete out in the driveway(60+ year old packed CA-6 gravel)

how far apart should i set the 4x4 posts for the walls and such, i figure 2 foot ? im going top attach either plywood and vinyl siding or commercial/farm steel siding panels, whichever costs less and roof it with steel panels

anyone have a pic of how this should be framed ? how should i make the top wall plates so the roof joists will sit on right ? should i just lay a plate on top of the 4x4 posts like a normal wood framed building ?

should i use any 2x lumber anywhere other than as top wall plates ?

i know some of you have framed one of these or knows how to

thanks

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go bigger. 12x24 is NOT enough space.

My shop is 24x36 and I wish it were at least 30x50.

I have a three car bay shop with a walk-in door. Ten foot sidewalls but seven foot overhead doors. I'm thinking of raising one of the overheads to nine foot. Even though with a 24x36 space, I've still got too much crap and need more space.

Don't make that mistake. Go big and be done with it one time. :waytogo:

3. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

no pole barn or old chicken house around for you to go look at? Most as i remember just have a 2xsomething around the outside with trusses set on top. The pitch has to do more with whatever code is or whatever trusses are cheaper. How tall are thinking of making this? May just look for a used still frame building i know a few that happened up on cheap used ones that people gave away you have to just take down and move off thier property. Or i know a few that got some old power poles from the elec. company.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well, theres this one tree... and this other one... im kinda limited, but thje max i could fit go with is a 16 wide by 22 deep.. there is a ground slope in this spot and its the packed gravel spot

or if i build it on this other spot on the property then i could make it 22 wide by 28 deep.. and the ground is level, but its dirt/grass and no gravel

there not really much to look at around here other than normal old small one-car garages from the 40s and 50s and 60s

power poles ?! holy damn thats a little overkill aint it ?

im not gonna make it real tall, gonna go pretty low with roof slope- not very steep at all especialyl since im gonna metal panel roof it

theres no garage around here i could get for free or cheap that i woulkd want ot touch, are all junk/garbage

i want a real basic nothing special but strong 4x4 treated post with metal on it one, not a 2x4 crap one with cardboard siding junk and all that, plus they are all small one car ones around here

thanks

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
  5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i need to know how to mark out the four corners of the shop and make sure it is square ?

what do you do ?

i have a real long flexible/nylon tape its like 50 or 100 foot so thats cool
    and this is on hard packed really old gravel

i have a few metal pointed stakes if those may do me any good ?

spraypaint ?

i want to go ahead and get the corner posts like tomorrow and start pick-axing the four holes

this is something ive been wanting needing to do for years,

now that i work a billion hours a week and hopefully getting promoted real soon, i can afford to do this and some other things finallly....

im gonna have some other questions later too, such as about braces and brackets for framing this- which to get and where to find them

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

LOL @ K30's signature hehee

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

how deep should i set the posts ? am setting them with 5 gallon buckets of concrete, and the tops of the buckets need to be 6" below ground level so i can lay the concrete in there

thanks

8. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Use steel pipe inside the buckets that the posts will just fit inside. Cut the posts the depth of the bucket, set inside the bucket, with a cross brace of 2x4 underneath the pipe to keep the bottom centered. Pour the concrete in the bucket, around the pipe. Then when concrete is set, just drop the posts inside the pipe. Much easier than trying to plumb and brace the posts while the concrete sets.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    What are your codes around there reguarding pole barns?
    Are you on a ranch where you don't need a permit?
    Because I'm on a ranch, I was able to build it without a problem.
    Mine is made with 6x6's spaced about every 6ft (good luck finding straight 4x4's long enough).
    I have no concrete in the ground but my poles are burried about 5ft. deep.
    We used a bobcat with a post hole digger to make the holes.
    I think you will break your back before you get all the holes done and give up.
    The bottom of the posts should be at the bottom of your areas expected frost line or they will move when the ground freezes.
    I used 2x6's on the horizontal between the posts and notched then in.
    I think they run across every 4ft. if I remember correctly.
    As for making your building square, you need to put your stakes in at the approximate size you want then measure from corner to corner until they are both equal measurements. My barn is 30x40 with a 13ft ceiling and 11ft. door.
    As for your roof system, you need to talk to a lumber yard and have them figure out the proper size trusses and slope for your areas snow load.
    If you under size this and get a big snow, your roof will come down on your head and you will be sitting in a pile of rubble if your alive.
    It sounds to me like you need some more research before you build it.
    It would suck to spend all that time and have it fall down on you.
    Mine has been up for about 6 years without a problem.
    Heres a picture of mine http://community.webshots.com/photo/52747624/52749946QUYqKq
    I've been really busy around here and haven't been on line much but I will see if I can dig out some construction pictures if your not in too big of a hurry.
    Later, Dave

10. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

3-4-5 triangle always works to set the corner and corner to corner measurements will narrow down any miscalc
    you prob wont have any problems on a structure this small, but fiberglass tapes stretch like 1.5-2" over 250'
    um....
    rent a one or two man auger, you'll thank yourself esp if youre digging hardpack with a shovel...
    very useful just get inverted with the straight tip
    good luck!! :thumb: :thumb:

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Mine is 40x60 and is even way too small. Always go big if you can.

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Bigger is nice...

My 20X40 Quonset hut is a bit small--its too narrow too fit 2 vehicles side by side and have any room for workbenches and power tools,so basically I have an oversized one car garage--I can fit 2 end to end,but if they are full size cars or pickups I have to climb over them to get to the other side!..of course,if I got rid of most of the crap I accumulated,and took out my table saw,drill press,and some benches and shelves,I could fit 5 or 6 vehicles in there--I almost did just that last year--I was tempted to rent it out for storage to some hot rodders who wanted to store their street rods and muscle cars for the winter--but I decided not too--too much liability,I'd need a million dollar insurance policy!--and its illegal to do in a residential area anyway.. :frown1: anything to keep you from making any money...I could have gotten 500-1000 a month if I could stuff 6 cars in there!(many commercial storage places here get 200 a month for vehicle storage!)...

BTW--I WAS going to build a pole barn instead of buying the steel Quonset hut--but after getting estimates for having the holes dug with an auger on a bobcat,and the price of the treated poles or timbers,I found it would cost at least 2000 bucks more for a pole barn!--plus it could burn down!,and that did not include the concrete floor !--so Ibought my garage for 4,050 dollars,delivered free from Toronto Ca,the Steelmaster Co. is in VA,but evidently "Future" steel buildings in CA makes them and Steelmaster just sells them...cost me about 2500 for the footings and floor...so for 6500 bucks I got a 20x40 garage WITH a concrete floor--Morton Pole buildings wanted 13,000 for a 30x30 with a dirt floor.. :blush:

If I were you I'd go to the library!--I spent a lot of time reading books on pole barns,and other types of buildings--one that got me interested was a "Truss Frame" building,where the walls AND the roof are all one "truss"--they go up in a few hours,and are very strong!--and cheaper to build than a pole barn or regular construction....steel buildings might be expensive now,since prices skyrocketed earlier this year..or maybe you should look into one of those steel carports like a member on here has shown photo's of before--you can put 2 together to make them bigger--Wal-Mart sells them here for about 800 bucks,for a 18x20 foot one..it might be cheaper than wood,it wont burn,and putting them together is fairly easy--and no digging except for an anchor point to hold them down,unless you want it bolted to concrete... :crazy: