Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want to build a custom x member for tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jan 14, 2005.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Here is my idea,

Right now I have a low hanging 208 in much need of some protection. The factory crossmember and skid plate are not the best design for rock crawling. My father in law is a seasoned steel/welder guy. I was thinking of making only one dip where the transfer case drops and making a complete skid plate for the front and rear with a U shape cut out where the front drive shaft extends. I would make the cross section a few inches wider and have it bolted to the frame with 4 bolts on each side. Basically the same type of styling as the 4x4 Iron x member Steve has. Just not for a doubler.

Please respond with any input, i.e. any draw backs, problems, helpful ideas you may have.

Thanks, Jeff

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Why not just clock it?? I have been thinking about making a new crossmember for mine but I think it would be more benefical to just clock it and make a flat crossmember.

3. stallion85

Clocking would require a few mods such as new front drive shaft, body lift, clocking ring, and custom linkage for transfer case. I am going to be building some bumpers and thought since my crossmember gets bashed and bent all the time because it doesn't have smooth angles on it. I figured I could fab one up with my Dad for pretty cheap and get the results I am looking for:

Something that won't bend backwards when struck against something and has more protection.:)

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You need a new front driveshaft to replace your 1/2 ton trash anyway. Body lift and custom linkage not required.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a body lift is required on a blazer to clock it all the way up. unless you cut the floor and fab up a big hump shield to cover the hole.

do you have the short adapter or the tall adapter? youd have to design it around that also. with the short adapter, id make something like a "?" with the bend to fit around the front driveshaft/tcase for the main crossmember and another cross member behind it and plate the stuff between it.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I will get you a picture of mine when I take it out soon. I am going to have to tear into my 208 again soon so I will have it out and take a picture of it. It is a prototype built for me by 4x4 Iron when he still built crossmembers. It works well after it was rebuilt but CEE after I beat the hell out of it.

Harley

7. stallion85

Damn Harley, How many times are you gonna fix that 208:grin: You must have a lead foot!!

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

No, not really. I believe the front output bearing is wasted. It was in there from a used case and looked ok so I left it. Apparently it wasn't ok so I am going to pull it out and replace it.

It doesn't help that I have pretty crappy luck with just about everything in life. :frown1:

Oh well, its not like I don't know how to get the case out and tear it apart. I have still had to rebuild the 208 less times then I have had to rebuild the 700R4 so I think I am doing good.

Harley

9. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Which is more harley? Oil changes or trannies??:D