Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

want to build a truggy

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigbadchev84, Jul 21, 2005.

1. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

ok guys i am building my shortbox to be a mud truck and robbed the lift off the blazer. im thinking about totally dismantling my blazer and building a truggy, i have no idea where to start though. it has 14bolt/44/4.10 gears 35x15.5x16.6 tsl sxs 350/sm465/208. please post up pics/advice/and anything else that you can think of. i am not sure if i just want to chop up the back of the tub or find a pickup cab and mount it on there.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if its a mud rig, I'd put a pickup cab on there... any k5 truggy is going to usually have a big hole right behind where you sit and giant clumps of mud are going to be flying all over you and the inside of the windshield. Not good. With a cab behind you, the rest of the rig can be tube, no worries about guarding against flying clumps.

j

3. bigbadchev84

no, i have a mud truck and a k-5 i am building 2 seperate rigs

4. PJTPW

PJTPW 1/2 ton status

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

no idea what you mean by 'too much tube'... is that even possible, I love jungle gyms! :laugh:

j

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Cut off 90% of your existing truck and throw it away..... :rolleyes:

That's pretty much how it's done.

The truggies I've seen use:
    • Firewall
    • Front half of floor
    • The middle 1/3 of stock frame
    ....and little else. Seriously, you can start with a bare frame and partial cab and fab up the rest.

7. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you're not going to run the cab in such a manner that you can keep snow and rain out you might as well just tube it. It's not worth all the workarounds to keep it if you don't keep it all.

If you're going to do any major suspension work or if you're going 4 link then just build a tube frame.

It's not worth the time involved otherwise.

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Our new chassis will use the floorboard and firewall and be all tube from there. That seems to be the best compromise in clearance and keeping some of the sealing features of the factory sheet metal. You'll still have to add side panels, some strips to seal the floor to the chassis, roof, windshield, etc but it's built to make those parts as painless as possible to build.
    There is a progression here and it ends with a full tube chassis. When you get built to the point my K5 is, you wonder why you didn't start with a pile of tube.

9. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

I wonder why no one has come up with a chassis like the formulatoy but for a full size frame. It would be a great starting point.

Andrew

10. bigbadchev84

ok does anyone have any pics of a truck cab on a blazer frame? so far i am wanting to stick a truck cab on the frame and narrow the front, exocage the outside and build some sort of flatbed on the back.

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

12. bigbadchev84

so does anyone have a write-up of how to go about narrowing the front? i would also like to see some more pictures of rigs with the fenders narrowed to the width of the radiator. thanks

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

First off, PJTPW, your rig FULLY rocks. I've read that Pirate thread a dozen time LOL

Now, here's how I'm doing mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front clip will get removed, tubed and skinned. The rest of the factory frame will get boxed. The back will get light skins only. The floorboard will get reworked and tied into the rear seating area (yea, there's seating back there LOL) I'm also gonna cut the rest of the top off.

Basically what I'll have left will be about 1/3 to 1/2 of the original frame, the firewall. The front fenders/hood/grille in spirit only (skinned) and some modified bedsides. Other than that, all new stuff.

The big trick to starting something like this, cut the back of the truck off, throw away the back. Look at what you got. Start tubing :D