Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want to drop a TBI 454 in '87

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by red450ih, Oct 19, 2000.

1. red450ih

red450ih 1/2 ton status

Want to drop a TBI 454 in \'87

My '87 has a 305 TBI, I have located a 454 TBI that I would like to drop in. Would I just need to change the ECM to do this? I can get it in there, just worried about the ECM part.
    Thanks

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Re: Want to drop a TBI 454 in \'87

Never done it so I dont know for sure, but as long as you have all of the accesories that go with the engine it should work fine. Yes you will need the ECM for that engine. Have you thought about the ability of your other driveline components to take the power of that motor? If you have a 700r4 it wont last if you use the 454 like it is ment to be used. I know too many people who have blown up those transmissions with similar applications. Other than that there should not be many problems other than keeping the tires in contact with the ground. Sounds like it will be fun.

Sparky

78 K-5

3. Re: Want to drop a TBI 454 in \'87

I change a 88 chevy 4x4 from a 4.3 to a 350 tbi,the wiring harness was the same far as plugs go just was a little short.The 454 should have the same amount of sensors,they mite be in a differant locations but you can modify the harness a little to make it work.When I got it all together I started it up and drove it with the v6 computer still in it!It worked but did'nt have the power it should have had so I had a custome chip burnt for my application.You can use the ECM you have now but you'll need to get a new chip for it.When you get it you'll have to know the number off your ECM for them to burn you one.
    Hope this helps,good luck

P.S.
    I forgot JET made my chip,I don't recall their phone number but you should be able to do a search and find it.You will also need to change the fule pump in the tank to a higher volume.

IF IT AINT BIG IT AINT BAD!!!!!!

4. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

You can use your original harness and I think the ECM. The 454 TBI doesn't use the MAT sensor, so you'll need to remvoe the wires from the harness (or just tie them up somewhere). Also, the ECM part number for the 454 truck is 1228747, and the 4.3/5.0/5.7 is 1227747. I'm 95% sure the 454 chip will run correctly in the 350 computer. If not, the 1228747 will plug right into where the 1227747 was and work for sure. I'll check it and make sure, tho. Other than that, you should have no problems.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

If you hav a 700 r4 you will also need the T.V cable from the 454. They are different lenghts.