Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want to get a BBC, but what problems will I have to deal with...?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Sep 3, 2002.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

My TBI 350 has seen its better days...I am in the market for a NEW GM crate motor...But I can't decide what to get...I was pretty much set on a 1996 350 crate w/ Vortec heads...But lately, I find my self craving torque more and more...

What issues must I deal with on the business end of things; that is what must I do to make my truck pass inspection and smog...My rig is registered in Larimer County and I only have a sniffer test and a visual inspection for things like the check engine light and emissions stuff...If the BBC is equipped with the same emissions (like an air pump, cats and the like), will I be able to pass...I am not worried about the sniffer as much as what the dudes will say when the pop the hood and see a BBC in a truck that , according to the VIN they ran, is only supposed to have a 350...Any help would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks gang..

Chris

2. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

i went from BBC to SBC no problems.. exhaust moved a little...

but mine wasnt injected,.... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The way I understand it, You can put a newer motor into an older vehicle but not the other way around. As long as the emissions are connected. Dont quote me on that. I live in an area where the emmisions testing simply does not happen.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

If everything looks fairly stock, the difference may not be that obvious. Unless there's a problem, they may not look too closely.

But when they do the tailpipe test, they will sniff a rat (get it?):D

I think that you would have to stay injected, though and not retro it to a carb.

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I am going to keep it TBI for sure...I will get a 454 throttle body and a custom chip...I just want to make sure I can register my vehicle if I put a BBC in it...I will go down to the smog places tomorrow and ask about it and see what they say...

Chris

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

When swapping out a SBC for a BBC on a TBI vehicle, is the larger TB, intake, and the chip all that is needed? Will all the sensors transfer right over? Does anyone know if the BBC intake can be "angle drilled" like the SBC intakes can? ...you know, for the older cylinder heads.

I would like to do this as well- when the SB craps out.

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Cheapest and best way to go is get a complete unit from a junkyard. I helped a buddy install one into his truck about 6 months ago. We picked it up complete from radiator to tranny with all the electronic goodies for less than $3000. The engine had about 35K when he bought it. Them 454's are stinkin' AWSOME!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif As long as all the emissions gear is there, you will have no issues.

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Tough call on that!

Since the K5 never came with a 454, I'd GUESS that they could nail you for that. It had to be available in that vehicle for you to be able to swap one in. (like a C20 with SBC, same year or newer 454 would be an "ok" swap)

Like was mentioned, if they don't notice, then no problems. It *should* only matter if you pass sniffer or not, but in some places, how it looks matters too /forums/images/icons/frown.gif