Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want to get amp, location, wiring?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by anatomiczero, Oct 14, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

I want to put an amp behind a sidepanel, which side should I use? I want to put it on the driver's side, but the passenger side might be easier. Where should I ground the wire? How long of a wire do I need to reach the battery? I want a 40-60w x2 amp for my 6x9's. Will they hit harder and sound better? I don't really want to install a sub and take up cargo space. thanks for the help.

CD player- Pioneer DEH4400 (i think)
    speakers- kenwood 2 way, the blue ones

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

You won't get the hard hitting bass without a subwoofer. The amp should make your 6x9's louder, but not hit harder. Put the amp on the same side as the Batt. Ground to any bolt. I like the bolts that hold the rear seat in place. Make sure you put a fuce in line up by the Batt.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

You can put the amp anywhere you want obviously, but if your battery on on the PS like my K5, it will take more wire to get to the driver's side....maybe 20 feet.

Ground wire does NOT go back to the battery, just find a nice clean metal spot that is tied to the frame ground. You will have to grind off some paint if you want to attach the ground to sheetmetal.

Those 6x9's will sound a lot better with a power amp vs. the internal amp in your deck. The better you can seal them in the sidepanels (maybe add a little dynamat, and polyfill) the better they will sound. They probably won't "pound", but it should be a nice improvement and good bang for the buck.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

check out my blazer pictures and you can see i mounted the amps on both sides and it wasn't hard on either side /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Tree Hugger

Tree Hugger Registered Member

hey just saw the pics of your Blaze. very nice! can i ask here you bought those kickpanels and did they need modified to fit?

Felow stereo freak.
    Twelve speakers, ears bleedin, TURN IT UP!!!

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i bought them from www.sounddomain.com for like $150 and i had to cut out the speaker holes my self, i also had to cut a little metal from behind the drivers side speaker, but only because i got 7 inch speakers not the 6 1/2 inch, i would recomend people getting 5 1/4 with these though, the'll fit nicer.

7. Tree Hugger

e-brake still work?

8. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

works fine

9. Tree Hugger

Rock on! Now I can get rid of the custom ones I made for the 4x6 plates and get more mid bass. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif