Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

want to go from 700R4 to a sm465

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mule, Mar 27, 2002.

1. mule

mule Registered Member

I know it sounds like a big pain but I cant stand the 700
    and I wont get rid of my mule I just dont know where to start
    the 700 is 23-3/8 and the 465 is 12 so where do you make up the diferents and will the bell match up just the general info would be great. thanks

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

FortCollinsRam is in the process of doing the exact swap you are talking about. He might be able to help you out.

3. EODBRIAN

EODBRIAN Registered Member

it's not as big a pain as you think. it just takes a good amount of time. there are a lot of guys that have done it, including myself, and it is well worth it if your looking for a fairly trouble free set-up (a lot more trouble free than the 700)that can take a beating. as far as the 23 3/8 - 12, im guessing these are length measurements of the trannies? in the swap of the tranny, your gonna have to have your driveshafts redone (length-wise). i highly recommend dumping the 208 for a 205, and im sure many will agree. again, trouble free and bomb proof (and you can usually find them already mated for sale).
    there is no "bellhousing" per se on a 700r4. its basically the tranny case it self that bolts to the motor with a lower "bellhousing" that bolts to it. you'd have a seperate bell housing with a 465 to bolt to the tranny, encasing your flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and fork.
    do a couple searches on the site for 465's and you'll find some great advice from guys with a lot of experience who have made all the mistakes for you. take in all the info you can.
    good luck with your project.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Okay...here goes nothing /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

As Harley said, I am in the process of doinf this SAME thing...I thought my 700r4 was taking a dump on me so I replaced it (with Harley and a few other guys' help). I replaced it with a rebuilt 700r4 that I bout from a guy on this forum...after a VERY short while, I decide I wanted to row my own gears and convert to a manual...So am doing just that...Some things you have to consider are the following: Do you want to keep you 208 transfer case or ditch it for a 205? Do you want a hydraulic or manual clutch?

I am ditching my 700r4 tranny and 208 t-case for a 465 tranny and 205 t-case...I am going with a hydraulic clutch (as many will suggest you do the same); it is self adjusting and won't bind in extremely twisty situation off road...

Here is a list of most of the parts I am using for my conversion...

1. SM465 tanny, 10-spline input and 10-spline output
    2. NP205 t-case w/ 10-spline input and 465 adapter
    3. Hydraulic clutch bell housing to mount your 465 to your SBC
    4. A hydraulic clutch pedal assembly
    5. Clutch master cylinder
    6. Clutch slave cylinder
    7. Flywheel to replace the flexplate form the auto tranny
    8. Clutch and pressure plate and throw-out bearing
    9. Shift fork pivot-ball
    10. tranny shifter and boot
    11. t-case shifter and boot
    12. NEW FRONT AND REAR DRIVESHAFTS!!!
    13. new tranny-mount and frame cross member...

I think that is most of the small parts...

I am in the process of gathering information and parts right now...I think the hardest part of the entire deal is going to be patching the hole from the 208 shifter and cutting the new holes for the 205 and 465 shifters...

I am goint to take this opportunity to get a high-angle driveshaft from Jesse

My biggest dilema is picking a brand of clutch and flywheel...I am still stuck between like 4 brands...I basically have all the parts lined up ready to buy...thats what I'm doing the weekend, running around buying this crap...I think the swap will be more than worth my time and effort...I can't wait...next time I drive my blazer, it is going to have a 4" bigger lift, a 14bff, a manual tranny, a 205, and the top off...YEEEHAWWW

PM me or e-mail me if you need anymore info..I am going to be doing a complete write-up of this thing that will include GM part #'s and what I paid for the parts invloved...

Good luck,

Chris

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My 81 Jimmy came with a SM 465 and 208 stock. The 208 shifter box was in the exact spot the auto trucks had it. When I swapped the SM 465/NP 205 combo in the 205 shifter lined up perfectly with the hole the 208 shifter box left. The tranny tunnel is probably already dimpled for the SM 465 shifter too...

Just a little FYI...

Rene

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Rene, When you installed the 205 inplace of the 208 did you have to enlarge or shrink the hole for the 205 shifter...I had not even thought about the shifters being in the same spot...I just assumed I would have to move some stuff...So, basically a 205 shifter will bolt up to my 208 hole and work with out any mods...thats cool /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Chris

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I didn't have to do anything to the hole. The 205 shifter is attached to the T-case adaptor and it was centered very nicely in the hole the 208 shifter used to be in.../forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Good luck with your project!

Rene

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Mine was NOT in the same place. The 205 shifter handle came up about 1/4" too close to the body (drivers side I think) and would hit sometimes. I heated it with an oxy-acetylene torch and bent it over and straightened it a tad, and it doesn't rub anymore. The 1/4" could easily be a manufacturing tolerance, OR my tranny crossmember isn't exactly centered. (which could be frame, my drilling, crossmember, etc)

I have the stock 205 shift boot/retaining plate, and it doesn't work on the 208 hole /forums/images/icons/frown.gif 208 shifter hole is larger. Been too lazy to figure something out, but I probably need to make a new plate to mate up with the 208 shifter bolt pattern, and come up with a boot that will work. I hate cutting holes, and the floor is reinforced where the 208 shifter bolts up.

9. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

You may have to modify your floor, I assume they have the same floor pan profile as the trucks. A few years ago I swapped cabs on my truck, which is/was a SM465/NP205. The cab I put on my truck was from a two wheel drive automatic. I unbolted the tranny floor cover sheet metal and I used a sawzall (and a template from my old rusted out cab) to cut the proper hole in the good cab floor, and then I used sheet metal screws and washers to bolt it in the new cab. It turned out really well, and looks factory (except for the PRNDL indicator in the dashboard).

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i did this swap back in november..it was very easy to do...on my 88 it was dimpled on the floor for the shifter and the 205 shifter fit where the 208 shifter comes threw...i had to trim it a little but wasent a big deal...there were also dimples on the firewall for the hydro clutch so it was kinda a bone head install...the hardest part of the whole project was installing the pedals...took me almost a full day just doin that...but i will never go back to a auto in my wheelin rig...

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I am doing the same thing. My friends have done it. It's easier than you think. These guys are giving great advice.

My friends did it last year over a 2 day period. The TH 400 went out of my friend's K20 4 days before the 4wd competion. He already had the setup to put the 4 speed in and he made his own driveshafts. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif He went on to do very well in the competition.