Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Want to remove AC unit from under hood, have some ???'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by triger, Jul 17, 2003.

1. triger

triger 1/2 ton status

Want to remove AC unit from under hood, have some ???\'s

<font color="green">I have a 90 K5 with ac that doesn't work. I am putting a york compressor in the spot of the old ac motor. Now my ? is can I get rid of the ac condensor housing and get just the heater core / fan motor housing? Is there a different style housing for K5's without ac? I want to weld a panel over the hole in the firewall and have more room under the hood for compressor componants.

Also if there is a different housing for non ac K5's would I be able to use the housing from a non ac K5 on the inside and get rid of some of the clutter under the dash?

If any one has done this please give me some pointers... /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

T </font>

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Re: Want to remove AC unit from under hood, have some ???\'s

I think the answer you want to hear is Yes...
    I have a 1981 K5.. it had no factory air but had add on air when I got it. The condensor/cooler blower is seperate from the chevy heater/blower motor. The non a/c blower setup is smaller than the factory a/c setup (which I have on a 75 parts k10). Looking at the two it apprears that they are a direct fit replacement although the a/c unit is larger
    Im going the other way and want factroy a/c instead of the add-on
    good luck
    cam

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I removed it all and that includes the heater core, you can retain the heater core if you block it off and just keep your in and outlet lines to the heater, a panel will go right accross and be flush.I removed the lines, ac ducks..everything!

As for the heater core crap, I have so much room now that I removed all that crap, butt I have a 75 so things might be different, I also plan on a York air comp too.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah you can get rid of a lot of the underdash clutter. It removes all the vacuum lines, and if you really want to simplify, you can remove all the vents and what not, since that takes up a fair amount of space under the steering column.

Two versions of the heater only setup though, HD and non HD. HD uses the motor you have with the AC setup, and has the motor cooler hose like the AC unit, so the metal "box" on the firewall is slightly different.

Non HD doesn't, and it sucks. Still have to use the "squirrel cage" fan blade from the non-AC unit on the HD setup though, the AC "blade" is too deep for the non-AC setup.

You can run the AC blower motor without the cooling line hooked up, but whatever gets into the engine bay will get into the blower motor.

Probably gets cold enough in NJ that the HD heater is a good idea, I know I would never swap in a non-HD unit.