Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wanta go further (mud)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chillywilly, May 25, 2003.

1. chillywilly

chillywilly Registered Member

Ok just had first mud run yesterday,came out fith out of class of 18.Tryin to get into money spot.It was down to a matter of inches.Anyone got any ideas to get me in the top 3?Pit is about 4 ft deep mud was almost over my front bumper.Planning on weldin front end and removing front bumper before next run.just wanta say thanks in advance!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

If you don't already have it get a piece of mine conveyour belt and bolt it to the front of the truck it helps keep the mud from piling up in front of you so your not pushing a wall of mud. here is a pic of what I'm saying.
    PIC

3. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

dont know if you want to go this far or not, but you could Cut the little lugs out the boggers, i would only do it in the rear though..... would make them like paddles almost.

4. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

What about re-gearing?

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

what about wings, jet ingines, nos, a new amp for your stereo, some toyo tires, cpl stickers atleast!

the more stickers the less places for mud to get

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

you said it was your first mud run does that mean it was you first time really in mud or just competing? If you practice in mud you will go alot farther

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Wider boggers would help keep it from digging for China too quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. chillywilly

nice lookin truck backyard!That flap looks like a good idea,think I got some stuff layin around...hmmmm have to try it.thanks

9. chillywilly

Almost did Silver,but my class rules wont allow cut tires. thanks tho /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. chillywilly

Been thinkin about the gear thing myself Bullet.Ive got a couple choices of ratios 4.11 or 4.56s but means Ill have to step up to 14bff, afraid the size might slow me down in mud.

11. chillywilly

[ QUOTE ]
    what about wings, jet ingines, nos, a new amp for your stereo, some toyo tires, cpl stickers atleast!

the more stickers the less places for mud to get

[/ QUOTE ]thanks for the reply /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif But not in class rules and stickers wont stay on my duct tape !!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

12. Silver84k5

yea if your not breakin with your setup right now then i wouldnt go to a 14 bolt, Evenwith the lip shaved youll be draggin ass a little bit..... Sounds kinda Sacreligeous (sp?) but I would put a ford 9 inch in instead of a 14bolt, youll gain a lot of strenght, and still have a fair amount of clearance.

if you dont mind your truck getting dirty inside then take off the doors, tailgate, and lid.... if you havent already,

thatll help a lot with weight..

13. chillywilly

Hmmm Ill have to check the rule book on losin the doors,9 inch rear sounds interesting.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Wider boggers would help keep it from digging for China too quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you've never been to a mud bog. 38x11 is the king of the Bogging tires unless you've got a blown big block and a 5,000 stall.

15. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Around here the high hp trucks run the 11wides in the front and the 15wides out back I dont really understand why but it really seems to work

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Obviously you've never been to a mud bog.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Growing up in south Florida, I didn't have to "go" to mud bogs. I lived in them. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I've played in more mud than you've ever seen. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif We didn't have to dig a trench and fill it with water to have something to play in, as there were thousands of square miles of swamps just waiting to suck the unwary into bottomless muck. Skinny tires work great for digging down to a firm surface. But when you get to the really deep stuff, you don't want to dig down, you want to move forward. This is when a slightly wider tire means the difference between moving forward or attempting to make a journey to the center of the earth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If you want to see the extreme side of this in action, watch the unlimited mud bog rigs. They don't dig in at all. They spin their big, wide tires so fast that they scoot across the top of the pit like a water bug. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

17. Silver84k5

they do that so the rear tires arent digging through the exact same ruts as the front tires.

18. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

Chillywilly was this the Maine 4x4 festival that they had last year over Memorial weekend. I was looking for information on this event. I guess I missed it. More power is what you need and a welded rear. Your sig says you already have 38x11 bogers, I dont think you can beat those. Not too bad for you first time out. Are you going to more bogs this year. It is addicting, just like this site.

19. chillywilly

Hey slimlynn. This wasnt that big of an event,just a small mud association locally.Probly 30-40 trucks on average.Ive already got the rear welded,thinkin of doing the front soon.No big horse power going in this year /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif.Probly pushin only 300hp now might step up next year.Im just lookin for a few more inches ..or feet,as cheap as possible.Most of the guys around here are pretty silent about sharin ideas lol.

20. chillywilly

Hey guys didnt mean to start a pissin match on wide or skinnys.I ran 35x16 boggers last year and seen a set of 38x11s blow by me.They just happen to work the best in the type of mud pit around here.But every tire has its place and use. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif